OTHER GLANDS -
(i) Mammary glands -
- Study of mammary gland is mastology. Modified sweat gland.
- 4-5 pairs in rabbit. 1 pair in human. In opposum 25 pairs (max.). Teats or nipples present.
- Teats absent in prototheria or monotremes. Gynecomestea condition present in prototheria.
- Lecticiferous tubules open on teats.
- In buffalo, cow, horse, mammary glands before open into teats first open in cisterni (cavity).
- In dog, goat, buffalo, pig mammary glands present in abdomen.
- These are compound alveolar tubular duct (active) or compound tubular (inactive).
- Apocrine in nature. It's activity & growth is under control of pituitary.
- By lectogenesis milk is synthesized under control of prolectin.
- Early milk is rich in minerals known as colustrum. Secretion of milk is under control of oxytocin.
(ii) Meibomian gland or meikomian gland or cilliary gland of moll or tarsal gland -
Present at corner of eye lids. Modified sebaceous gland. Their fatty secretion clears eye ball.
(iii) Ceruminuous gland or wax gland -
Present in external auditory meatus. Modified sweat gland.
It's secretion is wax or cerumen to protect ear drum.
(iv) Perineal gland or scent gland or inguinal gland -
Green in colour. Modified sweat gland. Situated in perineum. Their secretion attaracts opposite sex.
The smell is helpful to trace other groups in rabbit. Absent in human beings.
(v) Gland of zeis -
Modified sebaceus gland. Situated attached to eye lid. It's secretion clear eye ball.
Sty or hardoleum is due to its infection.
(vi) Tyson's gland -
Present in prepuce. Modified sweat gland. It's oily secretion is helpfull in copulation.
(vii) Gland of montgomery -
Modified sweat gland. Present in areola mammary. Its secretion softens the nipple.
Note :- Skin's glands absent in porpyaz (aquatic mammals).