These are some important uses of biodiversity.
1. Source of food, medicines and drugs:
(a) Wheat, rice and maize are three carbohydrate rich crops and contribute 2/3nd part of food to mankind.
(b) Morphine, quinine, taxol (anticancer) is some important drugs and medicines.
2. Aesthetic and cultural benefits:
Many species of birds' animals and plants are being appreciated for its beauty and fun. Many plants are also related to our cultural and religious beliefs eg. Tulsi, peepal etc.
3. Productive use:
We get wide variety of products like feathers, chemicals, rubber, timber, and dairy products etc which provide occupation to large section of society.
4. Ecosystem services:
Biodiversity help in maintenance and sustenance of natural cycle eg Climate control, soil formation, purification of water etc.
Threats to biodiversity:
Some of threats to biodiversity are as follows:
1. High rate of human population growth and increased consumption of natural resources.
2. Introduction of exotic species in a particular ecosystem eg. Lantana camara(shrub), water hyacinth (floating plant in ponds).
3. Habitat loss and fragmentation -process where large continuous area of habitat is divided into two or more fragments.
4. Economic policies and development plants fail to value the importance of environment and its resources.
5. As a result of direct poisoning or degradation of environment many species of plants and animals have died.