Identify key nursing responsibilities when caring for clients with an enteral feed
• Follow the Enteral Feeding Protocol.
• If the patient is not being fed, check with MO each shift whether feeding can begin.
• Flush the feeding tube four-hourly with 30mL water to maintain feeding tube patency.
• Perform abdominal assessment each shift to assess for feeding intolerance
• Listening for bowel sounds every shift will help to provide some indication of stomach and colon function.
• Chart enteral feeding, bowel activity, gastric aspirates and any signs of feeding intolerance, in the progress notes or nursing care plan.
• Contact Dietician when new feed starts, or if the feeding regimen or feed type needs to be altered, so that the patient's requirements can be assessed appropriately.
• check tubing regularly for blockages