Each student is responsible for writing a review ofa current HRM issue related to one or more of the topics discussed on the Course Calendar of Events during the evening that it is discussed in class.(training and performance) You must also present your review to the class. Therefore, the issue you raise should relate to one of the functions of HRM such as recruitment, downsizing, training, executive development, or compensation and benefits discussed during that specific class. The HRM issue must be current a controversy, challenge, opportunity, problem, or trend facing HR leaders.
Some examples include:
- What recruitment strategies will companies use to attract employees when the economy recovers?
- How are organizations "greening" their jobs?
- How are worksite health promotion programs reducing health care costs of employees?
- What are the HRM implications of an aging workforce?
- How does executive coaching improve executive effectiveness?
- what critical skills are most deficient in organizations?
The HRM issue should be newer and still relevant to organizations today and likely in the future. Before the start of the second class, please indicate the date that you will post and present your Current Issues in HRM assignment by clicking on the "Class Discussion Board" button on Blackboard. Subsequently, also indicate the unique question that you will address. There is a maximum of three (3) students per class.
Students are to cite at least seven (7) references for each review. This means that you are to refer to the information in these sources in a relevant way throughout your paper using the APA format. Please see the MSLM APA Sample Paper on Bb for guidance. One reference must be the text book and at least three (3) references must be from scholarly sources using a library/ProQuest search. The remainder of your references can come from a wide variety of non-scholarly sources including newspapers, business magazines, and professional HRM organizations such as SHRM which are also excellent choices especially if you are a member of them. Please have a list of references on a separate page at the end of the document.
Your review and presentation should contain the following three sections:
- Description of the HRM issue
1. Clearly state the HRM issue in the form of a question like the examples above.
2. Briefly explain the question that you have raised. What does it mean?
3. Highlight why addressing or resolving this HRM issue is important. How does it impact the management of employees and organizational effectiveness?
4. Explain your interest in the news item. What were you curious about?
- Review of the HRM issue
1. What do the sources state about your question?
2. Is there agreement among the authors of your references or are their views and research results conflicting or mixed?
- Relationship of question raised to HRM functions
1. Identify three (3) HRM functions to which your issue relates. For instance, assume that your question is: How are worksite health promotion programs reducing health care costs of employees? Then you could identify safety and health, benefits, and recruitment as three related HRM functions.
2. Describe how your issue impacts each of these three HRM functions.
This activity is designed to help you find your interests in HRM, expand your understanding of HRM systems and processes, and recognize the interconnections among HRM functions.
For the current HRM issue that you select, you will post on Bb a four(4) page paper excluding the title page and the reference list and give a 10-minute presentation of your paper in class.