Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
How do comets get their tails, engineering, Other Engineering
How do comets get their tails?
- Most comets stay frozen in the outer solar system. Only a few enter the inner solar system where they can grow tails.
- When a comet nears the sun, its ices can sublimate into gas and carry off dust creating a coma and long tails (plasma and dust tails)
- A comet ejects small particles that follow it around in its orbit and cause meteor showers when earth crosses the comet’s orbit.
Where do comets come from?
- The comets we occasionally see in the inner solar system come from two major “reservoirs” of comets; the Kuiper belt or the Oort cloud
- Kuiper belt comets orbit in the region in which they were formed, just beyond Neptune’s orbit. The more distant Oort cloud contains comets that once orbited around the Jovian planets.
Why is Pluto not considered a planet anymore?
- Its 248 year orbit is elliptical and inclined than that of the first 8 planets.
- It proved to be a mis-fit among planets because of its size and composition; its far more smaller than the other planets and its rich-ice composition fits neither the terrestrial or Jovian characteristics.
How big can a comet be?
- In the Kuiper belt, icy objects were able to grow to hundreds or thousands of kilometers in size. The recent discovery of Eris is the largest of these object in the belt with Pluto the second largest.
Posted Date: 2/12/2012 8:46:30 AM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
How do comets get their tails, engineering, Assignment Help, Ask Question on How do comets get their tails, engineering, Get Answer, Expert's Help, How do comets get their tails, engineering Discussions
Write discussion on How do comets get their tails, engineering
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Engine controls - aircraft engine, Engine controls: Engine controls are...
Engine controls: Engine controls are very similar to flying controls, and the same types of equipment are used, such as rods, bellcranks and cables. Most control systems use ei
How would undertake a waste audit, Question: a) Assume that you are the...
Question: a) Assume that you are the director of the Solid Waste Unit of the Ministry of Local Government. Explain how you would undertake a waste audit at the level of a munic
Differential amplifier, assignment
calculate the input signal u and maximum speed, The purpose of a cruise co...
The purpose of a cruise control is to keep the velocity of a car constant. The driver drives the car at the desired speed, the cruise control system is activated by pushing a butto
Partial derivatives, #question.y = lny^2/x^2+Y^2
#question.y = lny^2/x^2+Y^2
Capital Budgeting Project.., Assignment: You are interested in proposing a ...
Assignment: You are interested in proposing a new venture to the management of your company. Pertinent financial information is given below. BALANCE SHEET Cash 2,000,000 Accounts
Hp air for aircraft services, Hp air for aircraft services: A number of...
Hp air for aircraft services: A number of aircraft accessories produce sufficient heat in normal use to require a cooling system to prevent overheating. A good example is the
Communications system, Communications System • Information Source - ...
Communications System • Information Source - Information may take many forms: data, image, voice, video • Transmittter - Processes information into a form suitable for
Lead time, Enumerate possible impact of having inadequate system design in ...
Enumerate possible impact of having inadequate system design in the lead time and engineering cost?
Difference between fin and swell, Difference Between Fin and Swell ...
Difference Between Fin and Swell Swell : The unintentional bulges found on the casting surfaces are known as swells. Such enlargements on the casting surface are cau
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.