ISO 9000 series of standards on quality system was formulated by international organization for standards in order to meet the requirements of internationally uniform quality system. The European nation trade has reached an understanding that the post 1992 trade transaction would be dealt only with those companies who have registered ISO 900 quality system.
The developed countries started producing their own standards for specifying the variety of products manufacturing. In 1972 British standards institution united kingdom published BS 4891 a guide to quality assurance. This standard was used as basic guidance for companies willing to set up quality systems. It covered the followings.
1. Management involvement and objective.
2. Programming and planning.
3. Principles of quality control.
4. Design and specification control.
5. Purchasing control and vendor appraisal,
6. Production control.
7. Marketing and service quality function.
9. Defects and failure analysis and
10. Non conformance control,