It is necessary to frame a set of rules to promote safety of employees and to prevent the direct and indirect costs of accident. These safety rules should be strictly followed and administered as a part of safety programme. While framing safety rules following points should be taken into consideration:
1. The safety rules should be such that it does not cause an annoyance to an employee.
2. Safety rules must be clearly defined without any ambiguity.
3. The safety rules must keep pace with changing environment and industrial situations.
4. Safety rules should be such that they should be acceptable to the employees without resistances.
Some of the general safety rules which may serve as a guideline to workers and supervisors are as follows:
1. Power should be switched off before repairing the equipment.
2. Smoking should be strictly prohibited particularly near chemical or inflammable materials.
3. Personal protective devices like safety goggles aprons shoes must always be used depending upon the type of operations involved.
4. Wire mesh and safety guards must be provided on all rotating parts such as pulleys gear boxes etc.
5. High voltage equipment and other machines which cannot be properly geared should be fenced.
6. Pressure vessels and their component parts must be periodically tested the defective parts should be promptly replaced.
7. Mischievous acts should never be tolerated and defaulter should be punished.
8. Electrical connections and insulation should be checked at regular intervals.
9. Inflammable materials should be stored separately and away from the general stores.
10. Material handling equipments should have unobstructed path for their movement.
11. Defective tools such as hammers spanners should not be used.
12. Only authorized employees should operate the equipment.
13. Loose dress must never be used while working on a machine.
14. Prompt first aid attention must be paid to any injured person, and remedial measures thereof must be taken .
15. Fire extinguishers should be kept in proper condition and at key places.