Function of Materials Handling:
The basic function of materials handling are to choose most appropriate material handling equipment which is safe and can fulfill material handling requirements at the minimum possible overall cost and to choose production machinery and assist in plant layout so as to eliminate as far as possible the need of material handling. In general the functions of good material handling system include:
1. Using the principles of containerization unit load or cartelization, aim at moving optimum number of pieces in one unit.
2. Safe standard efficient effective appropriate flexible and proper sized material handling equipment should be selected.
3. Employ mechanical aids in place of manual labor in order to speed up the material movements.
4. Minimize the movement involved in a production operation.
5. Changes in sequence of production operation may be suggested order to minimize back tracking and duplicate handling .
6. Handling equipment arrangement should minimize distances moved by products and at the same time handling equipments should interfere with the production line.
7. Minimize the distances moved by adopting shortest routes.
8. Design containers packages drums etc, to economize handling and to reduce damage to the materials in transit.
9. Utilize gravity for assisting materials movements wherever possible.
10. Material handling equipments should periodically be resorted to check up repairs and maintenance.