Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
Environmental engineering., Civil Engineering
Solve the following problems and show all steps and calculations clearly:
1. A water treatment plant uses a dual media filter. The two media used are:
a) Anthracite coal with effective diameter of 1.1 mm, porosity of 0.6, and shape factor of 0.5.
b) Sand with effective diameter of 0.5 mm, porosity of 0.45, and shape factor of 0.7.
The entire filter depth is 0.8 m with 0.5 and 0.3 meters of anthracite coal and sand respectively. Calculate the total head loss in the clean filter if the loading rate is 200 m3/m2.day and the operational temperature is 100C.
2. A conventional surface water plant with coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, and filtration produces a filtered water with a turbidity less than 0.3 NTU, pH 7 and temperature 10oC on a day when the peak hourly flow is 3.0 MGD. After filtration, the water is chlorinated in a baffled reservoir. For the peak hourly flow rate, t10 is 90 minutes. What is the required disinfection for the removal of Giardia cysts of the filtered water if free chlorine is used? The raw water microorganism concentration is <1/100 L.
Note: According to regulations, the free residual chlorine in the water entering the distribution system cannot be less than 0.2 mg/L for more than 4 hours and a residual in the distribution system must be detectable in at least 95% of the samples tested each month.
3. The transmission main from the well field to the community is 2500 ft, the velocity of flow at peak pumping capacity is 3.5 fps, water temperature is 10oC, and pH is 7.5. If free chlorine residual is applied at the well field and is 0.5 mg/L entering the distribution system, what is the log inactivation of viruses?
4. As part of their proposed new research treatment plant, City of St. James is planning to use five banks of rapid sand filter after their sedimentation tanks. Each bank of sand filters has six filters operated in parallel. Each filter bed has a surface area of 3m X 2m. The design flow rate is 0.044 m3/second. If the design loading rate to the filter is 150 m3 /day. m2, calculate the following:
a) What total filter surface area should be provided and how many banks of filters need to be operational?
b) What is the loading rate when one filter is out of service?
Note: Experiments conducted with rapid sand filters at nearby water treatment plants have demonstrated that satisfactory water quality can be obtained with rates as high as 235 m3 /day. m2.
5. A groundwater contains the following constituents to be treated by the lime-soda process to the minimum hardness possible has the following characteristics:
CO2 = 62.0 mg/L HCO3- = 250.0 mg/L as CaCO3
Ca2+ = 80.00 mg/L Cl- = 35 mg/L
Mg2+ = 36.6 mg/L SO42- = 96.0 mg/L
Na+ = 23.0 mg/L
The facility is to treat 50 x 106 L/day of water from this source using lime-soda ash to reduce the hardness.
a) Determine the total hardness, carbonate hardness, and non-carbonate hardness in mg/L as CaCO3.
b) Determine the lime and soda-ash dosages for softening (units of kg/day). Assume that the lime is 90 percent CaO by weight and the soda ash is pure sodium carbonate.
6. A water treatment plant is processing 19,000 m3/day of water. A settling basin for Type- 2 suspension will remove 100 percent of all particles which has a settling velocity of 0.75 m/hour. The basin has an average depth of 3.5 meters and the weir overflow rate is 8m3/m.hour. Determine:
a) Dimensions of each basin;
b) Detention time,
c) Weir length for each basin.
Assume there are 3 basins with a rectangular unit in which the length is 3 times the width.
7. Why is there a concern for dissolved organics and color in the water supply and in water treatment plant?
Posted Date: 3/5/2013 3:26:53 PM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
Environmental engineering., Assignment Help, Ask Question on Environmental engineering., Get Answer, Expert's Help, Environmental engineering. Discussions
Write discussion on Environmental engineering.
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
Method of observation by satellite, Q. Method of observation by satellite? ...
Q. Method of observation by satellite? The difference between a photographs and imageries needs to be understood first. A photograph covers a specific area within its view and
Determine the coordinate for point r, For the project work points (x,y) sho...
For the project work points (x,y) shown in the figure the bearing of point R is due West. The coordinate for point R is most nearly: Solution: Determine the length o
Disparity between fasteners, Question What is major disparity between ...
Question What is major disparity between fasteners , bolts and screws ? Answer Fastener is a broad term to explain something that is used as a restraint for holding
WET MIX MACADAM, REPORT OT WMM ROAD
REPORT OT WMM ROAD
PORTAL FRAME, EXPLAIN SITUATION OF THE PORTAL FRAME CAN CAUSE SWAY WITH THE...
EXPLAIN SITUATION OF THE PORTAL FRAME CAN CAUSE SWAY WITH THE AID OF A DIGRAM
Main and key benefits of piers constructed monolithically, What are main a...
What are main and key benefits of piers constructed monolithically with bridge deck over usage of bearings?
Addition of water to bored piles, Addition of water to bored piles In ...
Addition of water to bored piles In water bearing ground, some water head (about 1 m) above the existing ground water table is sustained to stabilize the bore at the time of e
Importance of poles in critical load combinations, Importance of poles in c...
Importance of poles in critical load combinations The poles are generally designed for the following critical load combinations : (a) Bending due to wind load on the cable
Determine the latitude and departure - transportation, Determine the latitu...
Determine the latitude and departure of each side of the closed traverse ABCDA. Total the latitudes and departures. TIP: For Closed Traverse, Sum of Latitudes is Z
Explain the statements about construction contract process, Explain the Sta...
Explain the Statements about the Construction Contract Process I. Surety bond assures the project owner a guarantee of funds equivalent to a promissory note. The surety bond is
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.