Customer Service Chat
Get quote & make Payment
Environmental engineering., Civil Engineering
Solve the following problems and show all steps and calculations clearly:
1. A water treatment plant uses a dual media filter. The two media used are:
a) Anthracite coal with effective diameter of 1.1 mm, porosity of 0.6, and shape factor of 0.5.
b) Sand with effective diameter of 0.5 mm, porosity of 0.45, and shape factor of 0.7.
The entire filter depth is 0.8 m with 0.5 and 0.3 meters of anthracite coal and sand respectively. Calculate the total head loss in the clean filter if the loading rate is 200 m3/m2.day and the operational temperature is 100C.
2. A conventional surface water plant with coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, and filtration produces a filtered water with a turbidity less than 0.3 NTU, pH 7 and temperature 10oC on a day when the peak hourly flow is 3.0 MGD. After filtration, the water is chlorinated in a baffled reservoir. For the peak hourly flow rate, t10 is 90 minutes. What is the required disinfection for the removal of Giardia cysts of the filtered water if free chlorine is used? The raw water microorganism concentration is <1/100 L.
Note: According to regulations, the free residual chlorine in the water entering the distribution system cannot be less than 0.2 mg/L for more than 4 hours and a residual in the distribution system must be detectable in at least 95% of the samples tested each month.
3. The transmission main from the well field to the community is 2500 ft, the velocity of flow at peak pumping capacity is 3.5 fps, water temperature is 10oC, and pH is 7.5. If free chlorine residual is applied at the well field and is 0.5 mg/L entering the distribution system, what is the log inactivation of viruses?
4. As part of their proposed new research treatment plant, City of St. James is planning to use five banks of rapid sand filter after their sedimentation tanks. Each bank of sand filters has six filters operated in parallel. Each filter bed has a surface area of 3m X 2m. The design flow rate is 0.044 m3/second. If the design loading rate to the filter is 150 m3 /day. m2, calculate the following:
a) What total filter surface area should be provided and how many banks of filters need to be operational?
b) What is the loading rate when one filter is out of service?
Note: Experiments conducted with rapid sand filters at nearby water treatment plants have demonstrated that satisfactory water quality can be obtained with rates as high as 235 m3 /day. m2.
5. A groundwater contains the following constituents to be treated by the lime-soda process to the minimum hardness possible has the following characteristics:
CO2 = 62.0 mg/L HCO3- = 250.0 mg/L as CaCO3
Ca2+ = 80.00 mg/L Cl- = 35 mg/L
Mg2+ = 36.6 mg/L SO42- = 96.0 mg/L
Na+ = 23.0 mg/L
The facility is to treat 50 x 106 L/day of water from this source using lime-soda ash to reduce the hardness.
a) Determine the total hardness, carbonate hardness, and non-carbonate hardness in mg/L as CaCO3.
b) Determine the lime and soda-ash dosages for softening (units of kg/day). Assume that the lime is 90 percent CaO by weight and the soda ash is pure sodium carbonate.
6. A water treatment plant is processing 19,000 m3/day of water. A settling basin for Type- 2 suspension will remove 100 percent of all particles which has a settling velocity of 0.75 m/hour. The basin has an average depth of 3.5 meters and the weir overflow rate is 8m3/m.hour. Determine:
a) Dimensions of each basin;
b) Detention time,
c) Weir length for each basin.
Assume there are 3 basins with a rectangular unit in which the length is 3 times the width.
7. Why is there a concern for dissolved organics and color in the water supply and in water treatment plant?
Posted Date: 3/5/2013 3:26:53 PM | Location : United States
Ask an Expert
Environmental engineering., Assignment Help, Ask Question on Environmental engineering., Get Answer, Expert's Help, Environmental engineering. Discussions
Write discussion on Environmental engineering.
Your posts are moderated
Write your message here..
BRIDGES, WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRIDGES
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRIDGES
Illustrate the term - failure due to rupture of steel, Failure Due to Ruptu...
Failure Due to Rupture of Steel This mode of failure is likely in lightly reinforced concrete members in which the ultimate strength of steel is attained before the concrete
Theory on the horizontal reactions of portal frames, Determine the horizont...
Determine the horizontal abutment reaction of a rectangular portal frame under increasing central concentrated load
Explain hot weather patrolling, Q. Explain Hot weather Patrolling ? Hot...
Q. Explain Hot weather Patrolling ? Hot weather Patrolling is done for LWR and CWR tracks when the rail temperature reaches td + 20 0 C and above and td + 14 0 C for Central
Beam stress, what is the bending stress for a simply supported beam with th...
what is the bending stress for a simply supported beam with three equal concentrated loads that are equally spaced?
White topping cement, what is meant by white topping cement
what is meant by white topping cement
Design the transverse reinforcement, Figures (a) and (b) respectively give ...
Figures (a) and (b) respectively give details of a simply-supported bridge beam and its (idealised) cross-section. In addition to the dead load of 25 kN/m (including self weight),
Closing and opening of expansion joints and contraction join, Question ...
Question In case of for unreinforced concrete carriageway, what will succession of closing and opening of expansion joints and contraction joints? Answer Take a case t
Concrete circular pipe, coefficent of friction in circular pipes
coefficent of friction in circular pipes
What is the design mix concrete, What is the Design Mix concrete Determ...
What is the Design Mix concrete Determination of the proportions of cement, aggregates and water to achieve the required strengths in concrete is made by designing the con
Accounting Assignment Help
Economics Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Statistics Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Math Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
English Assignment Help
Management Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Programming Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
IT Courses and Help
Why Us ?
~24x7 hrs Support
~Quality of Work
~Time on Delivery
~Privacy of Work
Human Resource Management
Literature Review Writing Help
Follow Us |
T & C
Copyright by ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt. Ltd.