Submission instructions: Answer the following questions using a text processing software and submit your answers via connex. Possible file formats for your submission file(s) are .pdf, .doc, and .pages. Rough work can be submitted as .jpeg, .gif, .pdf, or inserted into your main document. This assignment is worth 5% of your final grade and it is marked out of 100 marks.
Part 1: Cryptography
1) Encrypt the following message using Caesar's Cipher, and a key of +7:
2) Decrypt the following message using Caesar's Cipher, and a key of +12:
3) Decrypt the following message using Caesar's Cipher. Since you have no key, you will have to break the cipher. For full marks, show your work.
4) Encrypt the following using the one time pad using XOR as shown in class:
5) Decrypt the following using the one time pad using XOR as shown in class::
6) Describe how the encryption process compares from the decryption process with the one time pad.
Part 2: Reflection question
1) Select three topics from the following list of topics we've covered so far in the class, and describe in less than 100 words how each of them played a role in the development of Watson (note Watson will be discussed in class on Thursday, Nov 24th, stand by!).
? Graph Algorithms
? Computer Graphics
CSC 106 (The Practice of Computer Science) Fall 2011
? Artificial Intelligence
2) Identify one topic which was not covered in the course which was necessary for the development of Watson
Part 3: Wordpress
Use Wordpress Software (wordpress.com) to create a website about yourself. If this website is not publicly available (and we recommend you protect it unless this is information you would already want to publicly share, make sure you include a password for the marker to access it with. Your site must contain the following three pages:
1. one page about yourself (ideally include a photo)
2. one page about an activity you are interested in
3. one page about a place you are interested in. Describe the place, why you find it interesting, and some specific features (landmarks, geography, culture, for example) that make it unique. For this part you can either describe a place you have visited, or somewhere you wish to visit.
Submit a link to your site through Connex. This is done by clicking or select files from workspace or site on the Assignment Submission page.
For each page you will be evaluated on:
a. at least 100 words per page. One page may be media oriented with less text, but if that's the case make sure that it tells a story.
b. text must be integrated with media and links (in other words they need to be related to each other)
2. use of wordpress features
a. at least one external link
b. at least one internal link
c. media (overall 3 images, 1 video)
Overall your blog will be evaluated on:
1. choice of template (describe in your assignment why the template you chose is appropriate for your blog)
2. use of at least one sidebar widget that links to an outside source of information (like twitter or flickr for example)
? you can make your site private, so that you do not to reveal information about yourself online
? you must create a new wordpress blog specifically for this assignment
? if you include anything that you don't own, make sure to give credit and cite your source.
This does not include external links.
? use the free version of wordpress for this assignment