EFFECT ON BODY -
1. CANCER -
Benzpyrene present in tobacco is carcinogenic, responsible for lung cancer. Tobacoo chewing also produce oral cancer.
Smoking mutates the critical gene P53 which helps protect the body from cancer.
2. CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES -
Nicotine influences adrenaline which increases B.P., heart beat.
Smoking damages mitral valve.
Smokers are not eligible for kidney or liver transplants.
3. COUGH AND BRONCHITIS -
Nicotine paralyses the cillia of the bronchi & this causes deposition of tar. Bronchitis may lead to asthma.
4. EMPHYSEMA -
Irritating smoke may break down the alveoli reducing surface for exchange of gases.
5. REDUCED O TRANSPORT -
CO2 reduced O2 carring capicity of Hb.
6. GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDERS -
Smoking increases the secretion of gastric juice.
It may cause ulcers.
7. May cause pulmonary tuberculosis.
8. Smoking decreases immunity of body.
9. It may damage nervous system.
10. Heavy smoking causes obstruction of b.v. supplying the legs and feet. Lack of blood supply leads to gangrene (thrombo angilis obliterans or buerger's disease).
11. Deterioration in blood vessels of penis caused by smoking may lead to impotency.
12. Smoking can cause leprosy by damaging immunoglobulin - G.
13. Tobacco smoking by pregnant woman leads to poor foetal growth and increases risk of abortion.
14. In the smokers, cells of the lungs, larynx, oesophagus & even of kidney and liver show chromosomal abnormalities.