1. Offer an example, real or imaginary, of firms in each of the following three situations (do not use the Wiztech case as the basis of your response). Thoroughly explain your examples with numbers. REQUIRES 4-5 SENTENCES FOR EACH.
- The firm created Added Value by increasing Customer Willingness to Pay
- The firm created Added Value by reducing Supplier Opportunity Cost
- The firm increased Customer Willingness to Pay, but failed to create Added Value.
2. How can a firm that find's itself on the losing side of network effects survive?
3. Explain why it is important for managers at all levels to be involved with decisions regarding the use and implementation of information system. Include discussion regarding what happens when they are not involved. Provide examples to support your statements.
4. What is the difference between "classic information goods" and "information-intensive goods"?
5. The fact that information has had to rely on a physical carrier limits its ability to behave accordingly to its inherent characteristics and created a trade-off between richness and reach. Please explain this "Richness and Reach Trade-off.
6. What is the difference between Business and Systems integration?
7. Explain the changes in recent years in society, especially with regard to in technology usage, as it relates to the steady increase in; available computing power, available storage capacity, and improved networking technology. Include examples of both what has happened and what these trends suggest for the future.
8. What is required for the successful design and implementation of an Information System?
9. What are some key implications that stem from the notion of systemic effects and the fact that Information Systems exist in an organizational context?
10. Please draw the socio-technical system diagram to show the components of information systems and the interaction among the components, and define a "third-order" information systems and organizational change?
11. Imagine the following scenario: You manage a table restaurant in your town. You have been asked to implement wireless table ordering using portable wireless devices. This is clearly a situation where you need to design an Information System. Use the framework we have introduced in class to identify the most important components that will make up such Information System (be specific to the example of the restaurant).Note, you are asked to list the components you will need, not to troubleshoot this implementation effort.
12. What are the three levels in the hierarchical organizational perspective?
13. How does the process perspective help solve the problems associated with the hierarchical and functional perspectives?
14. List and describe two advantages of Open Source Applications.
15. List and describe the three principal characteristics of Enterprise Systems.