1. According to the notes to the financial statements, what method or methods does the company use to depreciate "plant and equipment?" What rate does it use to depreciate plant and equipment?
2. Over what estimated useful life does the company depreciate its building?
3. Describe any differences between IFRS and US GAAP in the calculation of depreciation. (This question is not about the various depreciation methods that can be sued).
4. Using the notes to the financial statements, and information from the statement of cash flows, prepare the journal entry to record the disposal of property, plant and equipment during 2011. (Round your amounts to the nearest thousand).
5. Zetar Plc's property, plant and equipment (PPE) are recorded at cost. The group has a policy of not revaluing PPE. Suppose Zetar Plc decided to revalue its plant and equipment on April 30, 2011 and the fair value of the plant and equipment on that date was £22,000,000. Prepare the journal entry that Zetar would make to record the revaluation assuming that the adjusting journal entry for the period's depreciation / accumulated depreciation had already been recorded. (Hint: you will need to locate the original cost and accumulated depreciation of plant and equipment in the note to the financial statements).
6. Under US GAAP, what alternatives do companies have to value their property, plant and equipment?
7. According to the notes to the financial statements, how often is goodwill tested for impairment?