Cost Function for Savings and Loan Industry
* The empirical estimation of long run cost function can be useful in restructuring of the savings and loan industry in wake of savings and loan collapse in 1980s.
* Data for 86 savings and loans for 1975 & 1976 in six western states - Q = total assets of each S&L
- LAC = average operating expense
- Q & TC are calculated in hundreds of millions of dollars
- Average operating cost is calculated as a percentage of total assets.
* A quadratic long run average cost function was estimated for the year 1975: Minimum long run average cost reaches its point of minimum average the total cost when total assets of savings and loan reach $574 million.
* Average operating expenses are 0.61% of total assets.
* Almost all savings and loans in region being studied had substantially below $574 million in assets.
1) What are implications of analysis for expansion and mergers?
2) What are limitations of using these results?