You will be presented with a three clinical patient situations online via a digital story.
A diabetic patient
A patient with COPD
A patient requiring a blood transfusion.
Using the Clinical Reasoning Cycle you are required to collect cues and information regarding your selected patient, process the information, and identify problems or issues for your patient in the next four hours. You are then required to formulate nursing diagnosis, establish goals and implement nursing care to meet the identified needs of your patient in the next two hours.
Assessment Part A -
In part A you will collect cues and information regarding your selected patient, process the information to enable the formulation of hypotheses and then discuss the further assessments required to negate or validate your hypothesis.
To enable this you are required to
1. Watch the digital story and review the documentation of the patient you have selected in LMS.
2. Gather the data from the presentation and documentation and hypothesise what could be happening to your patient.
3. Formulate all the possible hypothesis for your selected patient that are relevant for a four hour time frame.
4. Identify the questions you would ask in a patient interview and the focused physical assessment you would conduct to gather more data to validate or negate your hypothesis
In your written discussion
Provide all the hypotheses you have formulated and your rationale for each hypothesis and include the data you have gathered as evidence of the hypothesis.
Discuss the questions you would ask in a patient interview and the focused physical assessment you would conduct to gather more data to validate or negate your hypothesis. Include in your discussion a rationale as to why you are asking the questions and conducting the focused physical assessment. The rationale should also relate to the pathophysiology of the patient's current condition and this discussion should be well supported by literature.
Please refer to the LibGuide for this subject for referencing guidelines. References should include current peer reviewed journal articles (no older than five years old) including nursing journals with minimal text books and no more than two academic websites.
Assessment Part B -
In part B you will identify problems or issues, establish goals and implement nursing care develop to meet the identified needs of a patient in a two hour time frame dependent on the patient subjective and objective assessment data presented online via a digital story and supporting documentation.
To enable this you are required to
1. Watch the second digital story and cluster the data obtained through further patient assessment.
2. Formulate all relevant nursing diagnoses for a two hour time frame in order of priority.
3. Select the three most important problems that are present for the patient in the next two hours.
4. Using evidenced practice discuss the nursing interventions required to meet the identified care needs for the patient.
your written discussion
Provide all the nursing diagnosis you have formulated in order of priority and include the data you have gathered as evidence of the nursing diagnosis.
Select the three highest priority nursing diagnoses that are present for the patient in the next two hours and identify a goal for each. Discuss the nursing interventions required to meet the identified care needs for the patient using evidenced based practice. Include in your discussion the rationale for implementing the selected nursing action and the evaluation criteria you would use to evaluate patient outcomes. This discussion should be well supported by current peer reviewed literature.
Note: There is 10% flexibility to the word count for submitted assessment tasks. Any material submitted over the word count will not be considered in the mark. Appendices will not be marked.