Q. What are the characteristics of drinking water?
Sol. Characteristics of drinking water:
(1) It should be colourless and odourless.
(2) It should be pleasant in taste.
(3) It should be perfectly cool.
(4) Its turbidity should not exceed 10 ppm.
(5) It should be free from objectionable dissolved gases like hydrogen sulphide.
(6) It should be free from objectionable minerals such as lead, arsenic chromium and manganese salts.
(7) Its alkalinity should not be high. Its pH should be about 8.0.
(8) It should be reasonably soft.
(9) Its total dissolved solids should be less than 500 ppm.