Teesside Construction is developing a schedule for a major building project to start in 04/01/2011 in Middlesbrough, UK. The project manager has identified major activities of the project, their dependency and resources needed to run each activity. Appendix 1 provides information about the project, which includes project logic (activity links and their relationship - FS, SS, and SF), activity durations, resource allocation and WBS. Appendix 2 provides definition on different activity relationships.
You have been asked to perform the following planning and scheduling processes with the help of Microsoft Project 2007.
A: CPM & WBS
1. Draw a Gantt-Chart and CPM network for the project. Calculate EST, EFT, LST, LFT and TF based on As Soon as Possible (ASAP) method and identify critical path. Gantt-Chat should show WBS of the project (use A4 or A3 sheet as required)
2. Draw manually the hierarchy of WBS for the project (must include Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4).use MS Visio or other IT software. You can also draw manually and scan it.
3. Explain why identification of the critical path is important? Also comment on the changes to the Critical Path, if the project is developed using As Late as Possible (ALAP) method. (max one page)
B: Resources Histograms
1. Produce resource histograms for all the resources using ASAP method. Identify and discuss the maximum resources needed for this project per day and per month.
2. If As Late as Possible (ALAP) method is used. Will the number of resource identified in question B.1 changes, explain.
C: Resource Smoothing and Resource Levelling
1. Produce and draw smoothed resource histograms for the skilled labour resources. Do not use automatic smoothening
2. Carry-out resource levelling for equipment resource and discuss how activities might be delayed beyond LST to cater for the limits on equipment resources as a result of levelling.
Consider resource pool for equipment resources as 8 units per day. (use A3 sheet for each histogram, max one page for discussion)
3. Explain and discuss the process of resource levelling. (max one page)
E: Cost Analysis
1. Calculate the cost of each activity in the project (level 3). Consider the standard cost of a skilled labour as £10/hr, unskilled labour as £15/hr and equipment as £45/hr.
2. Identify and analyse those activities which are expensive, for example Structures; Envelope & claddings; Mechanical & electrical services etc. (max one page)
3. Draw cumulative cost-time curve for each resources and for the project. Comment on the cost profile. (use A4 or A3 sheet as required)