Carbohydrates are the next important nutrients as they have to perform a variety of functions such as:
1) Provide major source of energy
2) Breakdown of fatty acids and preventing ketosis
3) Biological recognition processes of immunoglobulins and self MHCs
4) Regulation of various metabolic processes in the body as key molecules in the central metabolic pathways of the body
5) Serve also as stored forms of energy as glycogen in liver and muscles
Important sources of carbohydrates are
6) They are present in the nucleotides as pentose sugars ribose and deoxyribose.
And a lot of other functions are also associated with these macromolecules.
Important sources are rice, jowar, bajra, whole wheat flour, green gram, jiggery, honey, apricots etc.