Creating a New Internet Business
Here is a list of new businesses that could benefit from using the Web, listed. Select one of the businesses from this list and develop an Internet strategy for that business. You will need to identify the Internet business model to be pursued, use the Internet to research and analyze markets and competitors, and design part of the Web site for that business.
To prepare for this project, review the Internet business models described in Table below.
Visit a Web site representing each business model. Explore the Web site so that you have a clear idea of how that business uses the Web for electronic commerce.
Selecting an Internet Business Model and Designing a Web Strategy
The four businesses described are fictitious but are based on real-world scenarios. Review each of them. Then select one business, research in detail and answer the following questions:
1. Define and explore this business both internally (possible business units, business interactions and technology) and externally (environment, Porter's five forces, value chain, integration requirements with potential external systems)
2. What Internet business model would be appropriate for the company to follow in creating a Web site?
3. In what ways can the company benefit from a Web site? How would it provide value to the firm? What functions should it perform for the company (marketing, sales, customer support, internal communications, etc.)?
4. In what other ways might the company use the Internet for its own benefit?
5. Prepare functional specifications for the company's use of the Web and the Internet.
Include links to and from other sites in your design.
6. Discuss design requirements of such a web site and related business requirements for your selection.
7. Identify other critical information systems within such a company. Define and explain their linkages and connections with company's Internet business model.
8. Draw general workflows and interactions within business units, functions and web site. Discuss in detail.
9. Write and deliver your work as a research report.
10. Prepare a presentation of your work and present it in the class.