Analyse and interpret company financial statements, Financial Management

Assignment Help:

INSTRUCTIONS

Download the 2011 Annual Report for Marks and Spencer PLC, from the link provided on Study Space. Review the Annual Report, paying particular attention to the Financial Statements included therein. 

1.  Analyse and comment on the Financial Performance of the Company using Ratio Analysis. Use whichever ratios you deem relevant for this purpose, including profitability, efficiency, liquidity, financial gearing, and Investment ratios.   Your commentary should include a comparison of the ratios for the previous year, together with a conclusion on the company's   financial performance.   Please include all detailed ratio calculations in an Appendix.

2.  Outline the main limitations of Ratio Analysis as a basis for ascertaining financial performance.  Please use the Harvard Referencing system to reference to source material.

3.  Explain the main Accounting principles which form the basis for the preparation of financial statements. Your answers should refer to the Accounting Policies Note in the M & S financial statements reviewed above, as well as other suitable referencing to textbooks or similar material.

Assessment Strategy

This in Course assignment aims to assess the first two learning outcomes as detailed in your Module Handbook, detailed below. It represents, in total, 30% of the marks available for the whole course.  The remaining 70% are covered by way of an Examination, to be held early in January 2012.

LEARNING OUTCOME

ASSESSMENT STRATEGY

1) apply the main conventions on which financial statements are based

Examination and Assignment

2) analyse and interpret company financial statements

Examination and Assignment

3) identify and use relevant data for decision making

Examination

4) describe and explain the use of budgeting and product costing processes.

Examination


Related Discussions:- Analyse and interpret company financial statements

Calculate the total present value of the tax shield, Nortel is considering ...

Nortel is considering the purchase of a new  call routing system.  The system will cost $50M to purchase, an additional $7M to install, and will last for 30 years.  The CCA rate as

In how many area ratios are grouped, In how many area ratios are grouped ...

In how many area ratios are grouped Ratios can be grouped into 3 main areas: 1 Performance - how well business has done (profitability) 2 Position - short term standing

Emerging market bonds, Emerging market bonds are the bonds offe...

Emerging market bonds are the bonds offered by less developed countries. The government normally issues them. These exclude borrowings from gove

Financial Data and Projections.., I am writing a Marketing Plan for "Advanc...

I am writing a Marketing Plan for "Advanced Reimbursement Solutions, LLC" and need the following information regarding it: Financial Data and Projections: Past sales revenues, Brea

Lewis model of economic development, Question 1: (i) Critically explai...

Question 1: (i) Critically explain and analyse the Lewis model of economic development. (ii) Compare and contrast the neoclassical growth model and the new growth theory.

Illustrate report on net present value, Q. Illustrate report on net present...

Q. Illustrate report on net present value? The NPV of a project is a positive $56000. This point to that using our cost of capital 10% as our discount rate the project is we

Write down budget constraint - budget line, You have $20 to spend on high q...

You have $20 to spend on high quality pens and low quality pens. High quality pens cost $5 each and low quality pens cost $2 each.    (a) Suppose that you will spend your entire

Provisions for paying off bonds, The issuer of the bond has to repay ...

The issuer of the bond has to repay the bondholders the principal by the stated maturity date. This can be repaid by the issuer in one lumpsum payment at the matu

Partial correlation coefficients , In multiple correlation equations we are...

In multiple correlation equations we are often interested in finding out how much of the variation in the dependent variable is explained by one independent variable if all the oth

Analysis of financial statements, Turnover has increased 10% since 2009 eve...

Turnover has increased 10% since 2009 even if this is at the expense of a drop in the gross margin earned which has fallen from 35.0% to 32.7% which has resulted in only a marginal

Write Your Message!

Captcha
Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd