AIR STANDARD CYCLES - thermodynamics:
Most of the power plant operates in the thermodynamic cycle that is the working fluid undergoes a series of processes and returns to its original state finally. Thus, in order to compare the efficiencies of various cycles, a hypothetical efficiency called as air standard efficiency is determined.
If air is used as working fluid in thermodynamic cycle, then cycle is called as "Air Standard Cycle".
To simplify analysis of I.C. engines, the air standard cycles are conceived.
1. The working medium is imagined as a a perfect gas and follows the relation
pV = mRT or P = pRT
2. There is no change in mass of working medium.
3. All the processes which constitute the cycle are reversible.
4. Heat is added and rejected with the external heat reservoirs.
5. The working medium is having constant specific heats.