Advantages of two stroke engine over a four stroke engine:
The advantages of two stroke engine over a four stroke engine are stated below:
1. A two stroke engine has twice the number of power stroke than four strokes engine at the same speed. Hence two stroke engine develops double the power per cubic meter of the swept volume than the four stroke engine.
2. The weight of the two stroke engine is less than four stroke engine because of the lighter flywheel due to more uniform torque on the crankshaft.
3. The scavenging is complete in low speed two stroke engines, as exhaust gases are not left in the clearance volume as in the four stroke engine.
4. Since there are only two strokes in cycle, the work required to overcome the friction and the exhaust strokes is saved.
5. As there are no mechanical valves and valve gears, construction of two strokes engine is simple which reduces the initial cost of it.
6. A two stroke engine can be reversed easily by a simple reversing gear mechanism.
7. A two stroke engine can be started than a four stroke engine:
8. A two stroke engine occupies less space.
9. A lighter foundation will be sufficient for two stroke engine.
10. A two stroke engine is having less maintenance cost as it requires only few parts.