Advantages of information services:
There are a number of advantages in the value addition of information services. Taylor suggests three of them: • Making choice easier, by labelling information and reducing noise;
• Classifying a situation by providing a new structure to information;
• Increasing the possibilities of better decisions by providing better quality, better formatted, and more precise information, adapted to the problem or situation.
Bawden (1990) taking value addition attributes to be those which enable an information service to offer something more common facility to store and retrieve information, give six main categories of value addition processes:
• information enrichment, by analysis, indexing, etc.;
• selection and evaluation of information;
• customisation or tailoring for a particular group of users;
• integration with other sources;
• improved presentation of information;
• provision of better searching facilities.