Reference no: EM131101722
Draft a response to each of the bulleted questions below. Each question must have its own response and have a minimum of 75 words.
1. Which employers are subject to Affirmative Action laws? What potential impact does Affirmative Action have on employees and the workplace?
2. What is Executive Order 11246? What does it require, and of who? Who enforces this order? What are some of the consequences of a breach of this order?
3. How can one seeking redress in connection with a perceived violation of this order do so? What steps should one take?
4. As noted in your readings, the term affirmative action is oftentimes used incorrectly and/or is misunderstood. Why do you think so much confusion and misunderstanding surround such a commonly used phrase?
5. voluntary affirmative action programs have sometimes subjected employers to charges of reverse discrimination. voluntary affirmative action programs have sometimes subjected employers to charges of reverse discrimination. How can an employer strike the proper balance?
6. After a bitter strike and boycott that included strike-related violence and the use of "scabs" to replace workers in the walnut industry, a returning worker who had been a quality control supervisor prior to the strike was placed in a seasonal packing position, a job with less status, because the employer was afraid that the replacement workers, some of whom were still on the job, would try to instigate violence against the returning workers. The workers claimed that the employer refused to place them in their prior positions as retaliation for striking. After a strike, does the employer have an obligation to place striking workers back in their prestrike position if there might be violence aimed at them?
7. Why has union membership declined in the U.S. since 1955?
8. Do you expect this trend to continue? Why or why not? What value can unions offer to workers today?