Reference no: EM131405073
Assignemnt: Counter Intelligence DB
Reflective Summary: Review and reflect on the Counterintelligence Program (COINTELPRO) Discussion Board. Based on your review and reflection of new learnings in this course, write at least 400 words on the following:
Throughout history, counterintelligence has played a key role in U.S. national security. From 1956 to 1971, the FBI conducted a series of controversial and sometimes illegal domestic counterintelligence operations referred to as COINTELPRO (counterintelligence program). The ultimate goal of these FBI operations was to disrupt, discredit, and destroy certain political groups, civil rights groups, and radical organizations that potentially posed a threat to U.S. national security. This program was officially disbanded in the 1970s after a series of inquiries and investigations into the legality of the program. Some critics argue that the COINTEL program was disbanded in name only and that the FBI continues its controversial domestic counterintelligence operations to this day. Others argue that the COINTEL program was and is a necessary tool used by the FBI to protect U.S. national security.
• What have you learned from others' responses?
• What were the most compelling points from the interaction with your fellow students?
• How did participating in this discussion help in your understanding of the Discussion Board task?
• What approaches could have yielded additional valuable information in the students' networking?
• What is still unclear after the discussion with your classmates that needs to be clarified?