Reference no: EM131065438
Understanding Cultural Differences
In Chapter 12 of Integrated Advertising, Promotion, and Marketing Communications, Clow and Baack (2016) discuss the importance of cultural competency and sensitivity when dealing with consumers from other countries.
In Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries, Clinique had to modify its sampling techniques because men sell cosmetics instead of women. At the same time, Muslim laws prohibit a man from touching a woman if she is not a relative. Female customers must either apply the cosmetics themselves or bring their husbands to the store with them. Asking a female customer "What color are your eyes?" constitutes a grave offense in Saudi Arabia because the eyes are believed to be the gateway to the soul. Asking her about skin tone does not make sense because women keep their faces covered. Sampling is a challenge for Clinique in Saudi Arabia.
In a 3- to 4-page paper, consider the culture differences between Western and Muslim societies. You are required to address all of the following:
• How would you organize a sampling program in light of these cultural factors?
• What other consumer promotions could be used?
• If you have someone in your class from a Muslim country, ask your classmate to discuss the use of consumer promotions in his or her home country.
• Include information about advantage and disadvantages of using trade promotions in this situation.
Your paper should adhere to these standards:
• Be 3-4 pages in length, not including the title or reference pages
• Integrate concepts, terms, and theories from the readings and module content
• Include at least three academic references to support your work, including one peer-reviewed article preferably from a credible library
• Follow Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.