What is the best decision strategy

Assignment Help Physics
Reference no: EM131370836

A pharmaceutical company is planning to develop a new drug. The development will take place in two phases. Phase I will cost $1 million and Phase II will cost $2 million. Any new drug has to be approved by the FDA (U.S. Federal Drug Administration) before it can be marketed. If the drug is approved by the FDA, then a profit contribution of $6,250,000 can be realized by marketing the drug. The only fixed costs to be subtracted from this contribution is the $3 million development cost. In other words, if the drug is approved, the profit would be $3,250,000. If the drug is not approved, then all the development cost has to be written off as a loss. The managers estimate a 70% chance that the FDA will approve the drug. This still leaves a 30% chance of a $3 million loss. Because of the risk involved, one of the managers proposes a plan to conduct a test at the end of Phase I to determine the chances of FDA approval. The test itself will cost $165,000. If the test result is positive, the company will continue with Phase II; otherwise, the project will be aborted. The motivation for the test is that in case the chances of FDA approval are slim, at least Phase II costs can be saved by aborting the project. The manager has drawn the decision tree seen in Exhibit 1 to show possible outcomes. The tree shows the expenses and income along the relevant branches. However, the manager has not been able to arrive at the probabilities for the branches from chance nodes. The researcher who conducts the test says that the test is not 100% accurate in predicting whether the FDA will approve the drug. He estimates the following probabilities:

2007_36bec5f0-fc62-49c4-bb43-83c7eb6caf69.png

1. Given the above probabilities, compute the required probabilities for the decision tree. positive) and P (FDA will not approve | Test positive) for the case where the test is conducted. For the case where the test is not conducted, use the given non conditional P (FDA will approve) and P (FDA will not approve).]

1895_acb25c50-aab6-4d99-a69d-80daa3d6c704.png

2. Assuming that the company wants to maximize the expected monetary value, what is the best decision strategy?

3. The company assumed that if the test result is negative, the best decision is to abort the project. Prove that it is the best decision.

4. At what cost of the test will the company be indifferent between conducting and not conducting the test?

5. Is your answer to question 4 the same as the EVSI of the test information?

Reference no: EM131370836

Are there any limitations to the methodology in this case

Give the cluster sampling estimate of the population mean income for all fitness club members in Japan. Also give a 90% confidence interval for the population mean. Are ther

Suggest a sampling method, and discuss it

The makers of Taster's Choice instant coffee want to estimate the proportion of underfilled jars of a given size. The jars are in 14 warehouses around the country, and each

What potential problem do you foresee

An economist wants to estimate average annual profits for all businesses in a given community and proposes to draw a systematic sample of all businesses listed in the local

Is this method cluster sampling

The department arranges for its field workers to board buses at random as well as stop private vehicles at intersections and ask the commuters to fill out a short questionna

Is the method employed two-stage cluster sampling

The 42 ships belong to 12 cruise ship companies. Each company has its own characteristics in terms of price, luxury, services, and type of passengers. Suggest an alternative

How the rest of the sample is obtained

Suggest a way of doing this so that no problems would result due to the fact that 855 is not an integer multiple of 30. Give the first element you choose to select, and expl

How many discriminant functions are possible

In trying to classify members of a population into one of six groups, how many discriminant functions are possible? Will all these functions necessarily be found significant

Examine the electric part now

Thompson used a combination of electric and magnetic fields in his experiment. We will defer the magentic part of the experiment to later in the course, and examine the elec

Reviews

Write a Review

 
Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd