Reference no: EM131372889 , Length: 5
CASE QUESTIONS: Johnson v. Transportation Agency, Santa Clara County
1. What was the legal issue in this case? What did the Supreme Court decide?
2. What does this case reveal about the conditions un-dcr which affirmative action is legal?
3. What evidence did the county have of the need for affirmative action?
4. Why does the Court conclude that the measures used to implement the county's affirmative action plan do not unduly burden white males such as Johnson?
5. Do you agree with this decision? Why or why not?
CASE QUESTIONS : Cleveland Firefighters for Fair Hiring Practices v. City of Cleveland I & II
1. What were the legal issues in this case? What did the appeals court decide?
2. Why did the appeals court decide that the alleged conduct of the supervisor was sufficiently severe or pervasive to create a hostile environment for the plaintiff? Do you agree? Why or why not?
3. Why did the appeals court decide that the plain-tiff's "quid pro quo" (tangible employment action) claim was "trial-worthy"? Do you agree?Wh why not?
4. Do you think that the alleged harassment was unwelcome" to the plaintiff? Why or why not?
5. Material facts are disputed in this case; the plain-tiff and defendants offered very different accounts of the relevant events. At trial, do you think that the plaintiff will be able to prove her allegations of harassment? Why or why not?
Select TWO court cases (from different chapters) from the list below, and respond in writing to the case questions.
Johnson v. Transportation Agency, Santa Clara County (Ch 8, p 269)
Lomack v. City of Newark (Ch 8, p 275)
Cleveland Firefighters for Fair Hiring Practices v. City of Cleveland I & II (Ch 8, p 278)
Gerald v. University of Puerto Rico (Ch 9, p 304)
EEOC v. Management Hospitality of Racine (Ch 9, p 314)
Hardage v. CBS (Ch 9, p 319)
The requirements below must be met for your paper to be accepted and graded:
Write between 750 - 1,250 words (approximately 3 - 5 pages) using Microsoft Word in APA style, see example below.
Use font size 12 and 1" margins.
Include cover page and reference page.
At least 80% of your paper must be original content/writing.
No more than 20% of your content/information may come from references.
Use at least three references from outside the course material, one reference must be from EBSCOhost. Text book, lectures, and other materials in the course may be used, but are not counted toward the three reference requirement.
Cite all reference material (data, dates, graphs, quotes, paraphrased words, values, etc.) in the paper and list on a reference page in APA style.