Reference no: EM13318491
1. Airplanes are used to transport materials such as oil and natural gas from Siberia to the western areas of Russia.
2. The ruble is the official currency of Russia, and was initially valued at U.S. $1.75.
3. In addition to major economic problems, Russia also has major problems with
A) freedom of expression in the arts.
B) a high birthrate.
C) the environment.
D) a series of major epidemics.
4. The black market is the major government-sponsored economic system in Russia today.
5. Economic uncertainty and social pressures have caused the Russian birthrate in recent years to
B) remain stable.
C) decline, then rise very sharply.
6. More than three quarters of Russia’s raw materials come from the isolated region of
D) the Caucasus.
7. Some Russian rivers become transportation arteries during frigid winters when
A) boats carry goods to ports along them.
B) trucks drive on them while they are frozen.
C) trains cross on their frozen surfaces.
D) ice floes carry goods downstream.
8. One of the central parts of Communist economic restructuring in Russia was privatization, or converting privately run industries into state-run industries.