Shows a strong seasonal pattern

Assignment Help Finance Basics
Reference no: EM131086425

Case Study

The sales forecast for your firm for 2014 is $9.1 million.  The cost of processing (production) is 50% of sales.  Sales and administrative expenses are $100,000 per month.  A close look at the sales forecast shows a strong seasonal pattern.  The strongest sales months are February, March, April, and May.

January              $600,000                             July                     $80,000

February            $1,000,000                          August                  $70,000

March                $2,000,000                         September             $60,000

April                  $3,000,000                         October                  $60,000

May                   $2,000,000                         November              $60,000

June                  $100,000                            December              $70,000

Sales are 50% cash sales and 50% credit sales; 80% of the monthly credit sales is received as cash one month following the month of sale.  The remaining 20% of credit sales is received as cash the second month following the month of sale.  

As a result of computer processing equipment operating lease obligations, the firm's processing costs are uniform throughout the year (annual processing costs are uniformly spread over twelve months).  The firm's cash management policy requires the firm to maintain a minimum cash balance of $200,000.  The firm's board of directors decided that in November 2014 it would pay-out a dividend of $ 500,000.  Taxes of $ 200,000 will be paid per quarter (in March, June, September, and December).  A capital outlay of $750,000 will be made in both March and April.

You have had a running discussion with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as to the best way meet anticipated monthly cash shortfalls.  The CFO believes in conservative cash management it opts for long-term financing.  This entails financing the firm's cash requirements with an annual long-term loan at 10%, which is based on covering the highest monthly cash shortfall.  The unused portion of acquired funds will be fully invested on a monthly basis at a 6% (annual) interest rate. 

You believe a more cost effective approach would be to finance the firm's cash requirements through a revolving credit agreement at a cost of .5% (annual rate) of the monthly-unused portion of the credit line. The used portion of the credit line will cost 5% (annual rate).  Determine who is right. Provide all supporting calculations including the preparation of an annual cash budget.  In addition, provide a detailed explanation of the advantages and disadvantages of each scenario.  Finally, consider additional alternatives not discussed with/by the CEO. Explain in detail why these alternatives should be considered.  This assignment should be 700 words in length and in APA format.

Reference no: EM131086425

Prediction prove correct

At the end of the year, it had a market value of $6 million even though it experienced a loss, or negative net income, of $2.5 million. Did the analyst's prediction prove co

Shares of cumulative preferred stock outstanding

Figurate Industries has 720,000 shares of cumulative preferred stock outstanding. It has passed the last three quarterly dividends of 2.80 per share and now at the end of th

Purpose of the team

In no more than one page, please describe your experience working in teams, and provide one example of your work on a team. For that example, please address: what was the

What is the yield to maturity of bond

1. A Japanese company has a bond outstanding that sells for 94 percent of its ¥100,000 par value. The bond has a coupon rate of 6.1 percent paid annually and matures in 17 y

What is project npv if the discount rates

What is project NPV if the discount rates are 5% and 18% (Negative amounts should be indicated by a minus sign. Do not round intermediate calculations. Enter your answers in

Understanding of the uses of financial statement

The goal of this assignment is to expand your understanding of the uses of financial statement information. This project is based on the information provided in Ch. 4. We wi

Appropriate opportunity cost of capital

There is a 50% chance that the bond will repay its full face value and a 50% chance that the bond will default and that you will receive $700. If the appropriate opportuni

Structure weights on a book value basis

What are the company's capital structure weights on a book value basis? (Do not round intermediate calculations and round your answers to 4 decimal places, e.g., 32.1616.)

Reviews

Write a Review

 
Free Assignment Quote

Assured A++ Grade

Get guaranteed satisfaction & time on delivery in every assignment order you paid with us! We ensure premium quality solution document along with free turntin report!

All rights reserved! Copyrights ©2019-2020 ExpertsMind IT Educational Pvt Ltd