Reference no: EM131510623 , Length: 2000 Words
Assessment consists of analytical problems that students need to solve and comment on individually. These problems have been designed to assess the students' capability in solving real world supply chain management problems.
This task involves two parts. Firstly, a written review and analysis of an HBR case study in 2500 words and secondly, you are required to research and examine industry reports on Supply Chain Management over the past three years and provide a critique around issues and challenges faced by Supply chains within 2500 words in the form of an HBR article .
Part 1: HBR Case Study
3D Printing - Jolts on SCM
As a basic requirement you will provide a mapping of the existing Supply Chain/Network of the focal firm involved along with its core functions and processes, including analysis and evaluation of the networkinvolved in delivering its products and services to its customers. Further, you will evaluate and analyse your supply chain and propose a solution to the problems identified in the case study through examining similar companies operating in Australia or around the world using Design Sciences Research (DSR) principles as much as possible (article by Aken, Chandrsekharan and Halman, 2016) as well as business model innovation (Osterwalder and Pigneur). In this analysis please note any changes that may have occurred in the past 3-5 years of thebusiness operation, eg. deployment of new technology to deliver services, are intermediaries still an importantpart of the SC, or have sales moved direct to customer etc should be identified through research. Your recommended solution should take a systemic approach. Subsequently you will map the new Supply Chain/Network for the focal firm and associated stakeholders. Additionally, you are to propose a disruptive business model for the case in question underpinned by digital transformation, using the business model canvas toolkit and the DSR principles. In accessing your information you can refer to the company's website or any other published information relevant to the assignment. It will also be beneficial to use the available academic literature to establish any industry or sector trends, as well as have academicrobustness in your arguments.
Part 2: Review of research industry report on Supply Chain over the past three years as an HBR article.
You are expected to obtain at least a dozen industry reports such as readily available reports over the last 3 years by PwC, Cap Gemini, McKinsey, IBM, SCMR or other supply chain reports via the internet. From these reports/book research and consolidate issues, risks and challenges faced by global supply chains, and identify barriers and enablers of supply chains. Further, identify areas where Australian firms - in particular small and medium firms -seem to be facing a shortfall in relevant competencies and capabilities within organisations to manage their supply chains. In this essay discuss the role of supply chain management and advanced technologies (specifically, additive manufacturing, 3D printing, IoT, cloud computing, blockchain etc) together with transition tosustainability across supply chains ie. what would be the economic, environmental, and social impacts of adopting advanced technologies on current supply chains and how they ought to change the future SC in the coming 5 years?
The aim of this exercise is to address one or some of the following topics (this list is not exhaustive):
1. Understanding supply chain excellence
2. Why is planning and designing a closed and open loop supply chain/value network so hard?
3. Supply Chain metrics - does that matter?
4. Identify supply chains that demonstrate best practice
5. Outsourcing vs insourcing
6. Procurement policies and their management
7. Supply chain integration, collaboration and alignment
8. Service value networks and value co-creation
9. Supply chain risk, complexity and disruption management
10. Role of digital ubiquity in supply chains and data analytic tools
11. Role of technology and ecommerce in service delivery - especially the last mile to the end consumer
12. Why should supply chains be sustainable, and the role of reverse supply chains and circular economy concepts in managing sustainable supply chains?
13. How global and domestic partners can maximize efficiency and mitigate risks through leveraging 3PL for optimised services.
14. How are businesses from different industry sectors consolidating their businesses and their supply chains in search of value creation.
Based on the research conducted, identify a contemporary and provocative topic that would be well suited for you to write an HBR Magazine Article (20 marks) (Note deciding on a topic is key to this assignment).
Assignment Submission structure:
The assignment should have a clear structure and should have two separate parts. Each of the parts of Assessment 3 should be independent of each other, but must be submitted as one single assignment within one submission file.
1. Individual Assignment Title page (Provided cover sheet through UTSOnline)
For part 1 the assignment structure should be as follows:
2. Executive Summary
3. Content, analysis etc of the Case study
4. Recommendations, conclusion and managerial Implications
5. References and Appendices, if any
For Part 2 of assessment 3 please follow HBR article format and structure as provided on the HBR website as you will be judged on the 5 criteria's listed above.
Assignment Submission format:
- Use Font 12 Calibri with single line spacing and submit the Microsoft Word file only.
- Max word count is 5000 words inclusive of references covering both components - as a guide split word counts as 2500 each for Parts 1 & 2 respectively - Only submit one file with both parts included.
- For Part 1, a review of literature is required along with a critical and academically robust report wherein you need to include in-text citations of references from the SSCM literature as appropriate (Preferably 20-25 top tier journal articles - see ABDC journal list for identifying top-tier journals). For Part 2 of the assessment follow HBR level of academic rigor as per HBR website.
- Your focus should be on SSCM components eg. Networkdesign, warehousing, distribution, logistics, sourcing, risk management, sustainability, use of emerging technology etc into your analysis.
- You can select a specific industry and build your argument around it. Examples of industries could be automotive, aerospace, biomedical, tourism, fashion, apparel manufacturing, resource sector, etc. or you can base your essay on SSCM general industry trends or a recent industry topic as long as it is topical and contemporary.
- Marking Criteria broadly includes
(1) relevance of your answer to the question or task set
(2) clarity of expression
(4) citations beyond the given subject material as applicable to the 2 parts
(5) logical planning and sequence
(6) appropriate written and/or oral presentation ofthe work
(7) application of theory, practical insights, and useful recommendations for implementation ensuring learning objectives are attained.
Attachment:- 3D Printing.pdf