>> HR Management
CASE: GOOGLE SEARCH: BUILDING THE PROGRAM THAT WRITES THE CODE TO AND FEMALE TALENT
1. What is a needs assessment, and how might Google use this tool to increase the presence of women in its workforce?
2. Some might argue that Google's "Made With Code" program has redefined the concept of employee devel-opment. Agree or disagree and provide an explanation supporting your position.
3. Explain how Google's particular situation demon-strates the relationship between employee recruitment and employee development, given the above discussion.
4. Explain how Google's "Made With Code" has become an integral part of its career planning.
5. How might the concepts of self-efficacy and reinforce-ment theory help us better understand schoolgirls' rela-tive lack of interest in computer science?
6. Assume that Google is ultimately successful and receives more female applicants, whom it then hires. What suggestions do you have for managing this new talent pool?
Preview Container content
A needs assessment is a kind of process which is basically used to determine and find the needs or a gap of organizations in all the aspects between the future needs of an organization and its current state. In other words, the disparity between the current state of an organization and its future desired state is often identified as need. In context to this, Google may use this tool effectively in order to increase the presence of female employees at its workforce as Google’s workforce is basically dominated by male employees including only 30% of female employees which is its current state (Barbazette, 2006).
The future desired state of Google is to involve maximum number of female employees in its workforce and they have also introduced (“Made with Code”) MWC in order to achieve this goal. For this purpose, the need assessment can be conducted by using focus group method as it is a method of interviewing a particular group of people, which is generally led by an experienced evaluator. Young girls can be target in this method so that they can actively participate to make their career in computer science to fill this wide gap in the organization (Barbazette, 2006).
2. Some might argue that Google's "Made with Code" program has redefined the concept of employee development. Agree or disagree and provide an explanation supporting your position.
Employee development is a combined initiative of the employee and employer to improve the current skills and knowledge of a person. It is of chief significance for employees to maintain pace with the incessant developments in the industry for surviving the fierce competition. Employee development goes an elongated way in improving employee’s skills, training, and upgrading their abilities. Certainly, Google’s "Made with Code" program has redefined the concept of employee’s development because employee development aids in creating and nurturing employees so that they become reliable resources for an orgnaitsion and ultimately benefit the organization (Stewart & Beaver, 2004).