>> Other Subject
RESEARCH PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS
The Purpose: There are a couple purposes for this project. The first purpose is to assist you in gaining information and resources on the major issues women may bring to you in counseling. Every student in this class will select a different topic to research. At the end of this course, this will become a class project in which each student will share his/her research with the rest of the class. This will allow you to compile a resource notebook or a resource file on counseling women. The second purpose is to prepare a presentation for a future workshop you may teach on your selected topic.
Basic Description: You are to select a topic that is of specific interest to you and then research your topic as if you were preparing a workshop on it to teach to a group of fellow counselors. The topic list provided purposely does not include topics that are discussed in this class. The reason is to help you gain "additional" information beyond what we cover in the class lectures and activities. You are allowed to seek approval of other topics you would like to present that are not on this list. Before beginning your research, be sure the topic is not covered already in this course and that you have received your instructor's approval.
Instructions for the Research Project:
• Select a topic and submit it to your instructor for approval in the Research Project Topic Discussion Board forum by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 1.
• Part A of this project includes the primary research information you would prepare in order to put together a presentation on your topic. It will basically look like a research paper using subheadings to be used in presenting your topic. Part A is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6.
• Part B of this project will be a quick outline document that you would provide as a handout at your workshop. This handout can also include additional charts or appendices with an explanation. Submit the Research Project: Part B via the assignment link and also upload this assignment to the Research Project File Exchange under the My Groups tab by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 7.
1. Select one topic from the topic list provided. Decide on a topic for your research project and post it in the Research Project Topic Discussion Board forum in order to receive approval from your instructor. Each student will research a different topic; therefore, once a topic has been selected, it will no longer be available. Topics will be approved on a "first come, first served" basis.
2. Research your topic by looking for information on treatment options or intervention approaches to assist women with that particular problem/disorder. Investigate your topic in depth; do not provide a broad survey of the topic.
3. Part A of the project should be 12-15 pages in content length. (The abstract, appendices and reference list are not included as content.)
4. The entire paper should follow APA format.
5. You must research at least 12-15 "professional" resources for your topic. A majority (about 80%) of these resources need to be scholarly books, professional journal articles, or professional online websites with no more than 3-4 from professional websites. A combination of all three resources will earn you a better grade. Also, a majority (about 90%) of your resources must be published within the last 10 years.
6. You must include biblical integration as part of your treatment options.
7. Your paper must demonstrate your ability to integrate and synthesize the information you collect in your research. You should not cut and paste information from your sources. If you would like to include lists (example: symptoms, causes, etc.) for any reason, put them in an appendix and refer to them in your paper.
8. As you conduct your research, you may want to look for the following information, however, your primary focus must be on treatment options or interventions:
a. Description of the problem
Summarize the problem by providing a brief description of it.
b. Current statistics on the topic area
Provide any statistics you find in your research that discusses the prevalence or demographics of the problem. (Example: One in four women experience sexual abuse as a child.)
c. Symptoms of the problem
Provide a description of the most common symptoms experienced by someone with this problem. Also, include areas a counselor would want to specifically assess in the initial interview based on what you know about this issue.
d. Causes of the problem
Provide a summary of the general causes that lead someone to develop this type of problem. Include developmental and familial issues in this section.
e. Treatment of the problem - This is the major part, about 50-60%, of your paper.
Provide treatment options that you find in your research. You should use more than 2-3 resources in this section.
f. Biblical perspectives on the problem
Provide verses or biblical examples that you can use to assist someone with this problem.
g. Homework assignments
Provide suggestions for homework assignments found in your research to assist a client in dealing with this problem. If you do not find any in your research, then make a few suggestions using your own creativity.
h. Additional information (optional)
If you find anything in addition that you believe would be helpful to your classmates, please include it here. You may include advice or recommendations from your own personal experiences with this problem (whether you experienced it yourself or assisted someone with the problem).
When putting Part A of the project together, you should include the following:
a) Title Page
c) Content (12-15 pages)
d) Appendices (additional information)
e) References page
f) If you have a personal illustration that you believe would be helpful to incorporate into your project, please include it in an appendix.
9. When you have completed Part A of the Research Project, submit your draft via SafeAssign. The final copy is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 6.
This part of your project will be a 2-5 page handout that you would provide at your workshop. (This could possibly be converted into a PowerPoint presentation for your workshop). This handout can also include additional charts or appendices with an explanation for each. This is the part of your project that you will upload to the Research Project File Exchange under My Groups so that you can share with your fellow classmates; do your best to include the important points from your research.
Since this is a handout, feel free to be creative in your arrangement of this handout. You may include pictures, charts, diagrams, etc. You may use different font sizes for your words. Do whatever is needed to make it an aesthetically pleasing presentation for your audience; however, you must include citations (in APA format) throughout the handout where you include information from your research. At least 5 sources must be used in this handout. (Your audience will want to know where you obtained your information.)