>> Term Paper
Handout Assignment #3 "Operationalize Sustainability"
See Separate Rubric
Individual Assignment 3: 'Operationalize' Sustainability ***Signature Assignment ***
Length: The guideline is 5 - 6 pages, double-spaced (Times Roman 12 font with standard 1" margins).
This assignment is designed for you to analyze an organization and to help develop a plan for that organization to better Operationalize sustainability in the future. You may not use any organization that you have used on any other assignment in this class (but you must get approval first). This is your Signature Assignment for this course. This means that all that you have learned in this course is to be highlighted in this paper. This is the paper you will keep as part of your MBA Portfolio which you could show to current or future employers to demonstrate all you have learned.
1. Each student is to analyze an instructor approved organization.
2. Students are to analyze the current steps the organization has taken to "Operationalize" sustainability, with recommendations for the future. Operationalize means to "put into practice" or to "put to work."
3. The organization is to be evaluated on at least three of the following criteria (it would be a good idea to use the criteria you use as headings for your paper - of course using APA Headings).:
How do the profit motives for the organization become evidentin their sustainable practices now? Have they increased revenue or reduced costs through sustainability yet? If they have, how? If not, is this an option for them? Why or Why not? How or How not?
How has sustainability brought about culture changes in any of the following areas (diversity, agricultural impact, community service, fair wage, safety and/or human rights)?
Name a few of the association the organization or employees have joined as a result of sustainability efforts? What other organizations would you suggest?
What are the efforts to reduce water, energy, solid waste, transportation usage? Can you show demonstrated savings, either in what they have already done, or your proposal for the future?
Is there a presence for sustainability on the organizations Website, in the Mission Statement? What percentage of the total employment has sustainability in their job description? What public awards or recognition have employees received for sustainability? What recommendations do you have for this organization? How would you rewrite their Mission or Vision Statement to include sustainability in their goals?
Be sure you have an introduction, an analysis and a conclusion. The following describes how this paper will be graded. The questions and comments below are designed for you to read and consider before turning in your work. Use APA and Wikipedia is not a source. You need to compare and contrast your research to the three texts in the course and have at least three citations.
Your paper will answer the following issues (not necessarily in this order).
- What are the economic, social, environmental and measurement considerations for this organization?
- What are the politics (both global and domestic) that this company must consider?
- How would they Operationalize improvements you suggest?
- What are the different theories presented in the three different texts and from your research on this company's sustainability strategy?
Does the introduction explain what the paper is about? Does it give a quick overview of the changes in the workforce and the global implications?
Does the paper have three to five main points that are supported by references in the text with page numbers of analyzing all of the variables?
Does the analyses connect to your introduction and conclusion and the "heart of you hypothesis?
Is the conclusion a clear and concise recap of the analysis?
The conclusion cannot bring in any new ideas!
Does the conclusion tie into the first two or three sentences in thought?
Process, Punctuation and Grammar
Are all of the words spelled correctly?
Are the correct words used?
Is the wording smooth to read?
Is proper grammar used?
Does the paper show graduate level writing that follows APA Guidelines (research, in-text citations, headings, reference section)?
Is the paper interesting?