>> Supply Chain Management
You are being interviewed for a position at a well-known consulting firm and have been given advance notice that you will be asked to critically debate global supply chain management issues in an increasingly complex environment.
As preparation for this interview, prepare a professional business report that is based on a relevant literature review that helps inform you investigation.
The report should cover the following three areas:
1. The key drivers of supply chain performance in a complex environment
2. Barriers which companies face during the implementation of new supply chain strategies
3. Potential unexpected disruptions to complex supply chains and the resilience required to overcome these disruptions
Each section carries equal weight.
Please illustrate your answers with examples where appropriate.
Please also ensure that the Harvard Referencing System is adhered to and fully complied with.
- Critically analyse the theory, concepts and models of global supply chain management to interpret and understand complex and ambiguous risks in global logistics and supply chain environments.
- Synthesise facts and ideas in support of an argument when evolving alternative solutions and concepts such as lean and agile supply
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of global lead-time management and time-compression.
- Critically evaluate the role of national and regional distribution centres (NDC/RDC) and warehouse management systems (WMS)in the strategic development of international supply chains
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the role and importance of an integrated and responsible approach in shaping managerial attitudes and actions, and in the establishment and maintenance of cross-functional teams and longer-term stakeholder relationships.
Preview Container content
The strategic supply chain are continue to be adopted by companies as the means for developing and sustaining a competitive advantage and such a approach is comprehensible in light of advantages of the successful supply chain management (SCM) in the current turbulent business environment. These advantages involve reduction in inventory, better service delivery and short-term product manufacturing cycles. However, regardless of these tempting benefits, companies often encounter different barriers while implanting new supply chain strategies, which manifold levels of a company, such as the organisational, intra-organisational, inter-organisational levels.
These barriers have been discussed in this report along with key drivers supply chain performance in a global business environment. International companies are coping with supply chains that are widespread and intricate. Economic pressures further add to supply chain vulnerability, making them more vulnerable to disruptions that can impact profitability, reputation, and shareholder value. Companies are required to become resilient and consider their risk exposure from top-to-bottom and end-to-end of the supply chain as mentioned in the current report.
Key Drivers of Supply Chain Performance in a Complex Environment4
Barriers faced by Companies during the Implementation of New Supply Chain Strategies 6
Potential Unexpected Disruptions to Complex Supply Chains and the Required Resilience to Overcome Disruptions 8
Supply chain management indicates to what is external to the company generating better values for customers. It comprises of activities internal and external to the organisation that are conducted by that particular organisation for delivering the high values to customers. The eventual aim of SCM is to accomplish a strategic fit between the organisation’s competitive and supply-chain strategy and this can be attained by comprehending customer demand, as it aids companies in defining costs and service necessities.
If any disparity subsists between what the supply chain is able of doing in terms of customer demands, the organisation can either change the arrangement of the supply-chain design or its strategies. Thus, it is considerable that in the current business environment the role of supply chain management and this report highlights the six key drivers of supply chain performance in a complex environment.