Reference no: EM131031796
Prepare 4-5 pages in which you examine the differences and similarities in how people from two different cultures express their emotions.
Growing your cross-cultural competence includes increasing your awareness of culture, ethnicity, and diversity. This newfound awareness can inform and address your behavior, professional goals, and values.
This assessment will focus on the concept of emotion. Having emotion is a universal aspect of human functioning. Human emotions have evolved to be complex and differentiated. Language allows humans to make fine distinctions among emotions, and culture is an important factor when understanding emotions.
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
• Alarcon, R. D. (2009). Culture, cultural factors and psychiatric diagnosis: Review and projections. World Psychiatry, 8(3) 131-139.
• Carr, E. S. (2009). Saving the modern soul: Therapy, emotions, and the culture of self-help. Social Service Review, 83(1), 138-141.
• Davis, E., Greenberger, E., Charles, S., Chen, C., Zhao, L., & Dong, Q. (2012). Emotion experience and regulation in China and the United States: How do culture and gender shape emotion responding?International Journal of Psychology, 47(3), 230-239.
• Fernando, S. (2012). Race and culture issues in mental health and some thoughts on ethnic identity.Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 25(2), 113-123.
• Francis, L. J., Lewis, C. A., & Robbins, M. (2010). Religious orientation, mental health and culture: Conceptual and empirical perspectives. Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 13(7/8), 659-666.
• Grant, J., &Luxford, Y. (2011). 'Culture it's a big term isn't it'? An analysis of child and family health nurses' understandings of culture and intercultural communication. Health Sociology Review, 20(1), 16-27.
• Grossi, E., TavanoBlessi, G., Sacco, P., &Buscema, M. (2012). The interaction between culture, health and psychological well-being: Data mining from the Italian culture and well-being project. Journal of Happiness Studies, 13(1), 129-148.
According to De Leersnyder, Boiger, and Mesquita (2013), "The most prevalent and intense emotional experiences differ across cultures. These differences in emotional experience can be understood as the outcomes of emotion regulation, because emotions that fit valued relationships within a culture have a tendency to be most common and intense. There is evidence that suggests emotional regulation and underlying cultural differences in emotional experiences exist. These regulatory processes depend on individual tendencies, but are also co-regulated within relationships" (p. 55).
De Leersnyder, J., Boiger, M., &Mesquita, B. (2013). Cultural regulation of emotion: Individual, relational, and structural sources. Frontiers in Psychology, 4, 55.
In this assessment, examine the differences and similarities in how people from two different cultures express their emotions. Complete the following:
• Describe how people from two different cultures express emotions.
• Compare and contrast how people from two different cultures express emotions.
• Examine the effectiveness of cultural universality in explaining the emotional experiences unique to a particular culture.
• Examine the effectiveness of cultural display rules in explaining the emotional experiences unique to a particular culture.
• Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology In your comparison of be sure to use countries with cultures that are very different from each other, for example, France and Kenya.
• Ensure your finished assessment is 3-5 pages in length, not including the title page and references page.
• Include a title page and a references page.
• Include an introductory paragraph and a concluding paragraph.
• Include a minimum of three research resources.
• Response should be APA guidelines for style and formatting.