Reference no: EM131372620
Assignment: Information Technology in Criminal Justice
Discussion: "Digital Terrorism and Criminology of Computer Crime"
Please respond to the following:
• List at least three major categories of cyber terrorism and / or information warfare. Among the chosen categories, determine the one that should be the top priority for the federal government to address. Provide a rationale to support your response.
• Among the different psychological theories that are discussed in Chapter 3 of the textbook, identify at least two that are relevant to digital crime. Next, discuss the primary way in which society or an individual could use the psychological theories that you have identified to combat digital crime. Justify your response.
List at least three major categories of cyber terrorism and / or information warfare. Among the chosen categories, determine the one that should be the top priority for the federal government to address. Provide a rationale to support your response.
Information warfare and cyber terrorism have been a problem for years. The categories I trust to be the most effective are the following.
1. Information attacks
2. Psychology operations
3. Electronic Warfare
All three categories will affect us all in some way the one that I trust will be a top priority for the government to address would be information attacks. Individuals all over the world have information stored on their computer. Information attacks can harm the whole world. A laptop connected to the internet and the ability to be anonymously are factors that make cyber-based attacks against the United States so effective. (DOD Information Operations Roadmap, October 30, 2003, p. 61. http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB)https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RL31787.html
The only way the government can stop this ongoing problem would be to build new technology a system that could detected attacks before they happen.
Students, please view the "Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment" in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment: Digital Computer Crime
Write a three to four page paper in which you:
1. Explain the four major categories of computer crimes, and provide at least one example for each.
2. Explain the most common forms of digital crime.
3. Determine the category of computer crimes or cyber terrorism that presents the greatest overall threat at the present time. Provide a rationale to support your response.
4. Summarize the roles and responses that the U.S. government, court systems, and law enforcement agencies in combatting computer crime. Next, suggest one additional way-i.e., one not discussed in the textbook-that the law enforcement agencies can better counteract computer crime.
5. Use at least three quality references for this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Explain digital crime and digital terrorism activities.
• Describe law enforcement roles and responses.
• Identify information system attacks and countermeasures.
• Describe the criminology of computer crime.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in information technology in criminal justice.
• Write clearly and concisely about information technology in criminal justice topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style convention.