Final Research Paper
How to Begin: This week you will incorporate feedback from the Week Three Assignment to complete the Final Research Paper. You will have formed your own conclusions about these issues, based on factual information and evidence from scholarly sources. At this point, you have examined the social aspects of aging. In addition, you have assessed the impact of aging on society in the areas of economics, discrimination, and political influence, and assessed the role of demographics on aging in terms of health, income, employment, and retirement. Moreover, you have had the opportunity to examine the numerous policies that are in existence for the purpose of assisting the aged in our society.
Task: The Final Research Paper will focus on the impact of a growing aging population in the United States and the aging population in general. This impact could be defined in terms of increased health care costs with simultaneous decreased economic contributions, increased housing needs, and a reduced proportion of the population contributing to Social Security. As you address the political embattlement related to programs for the aged (i.e., Medicaid, Medicare, Disability, Welfare and Supplemental Security Income, and The Older Americans Act), you must include the following elements, which you began in your outline assignment from Week Three:
- Title page
- Explain the rapid increase in the older population using the demographic transition theory.
- Analyze the implications of an increasing aging population for two or more of the following social issues:
- The funding and availability of Social Security.
- The funding and availability of Supplemental Retirement Income.
- Work and retirement challenges facing seniors.
- The funding and availability of adequate health care for seniors.
- Summarize what the experts have written about the issues facing the United States in terms of the growing elderly population. How do experts suggest addressing these issues? Assess whether their conclusions are methodologically sound.
- Assess how the growing aging population is going to impact the younger generations in terms of political power and their need for social support.
- Evaluate the actions that are currently being taken to address these issues of having an increasing aging population. What have been the results of those actions? Justify which remedies you agree with, and support your conclusions with your scholarly research.
The paper must be eight to ten pages in length (excluding title page and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style. In addition to the course textbook, the paper must include a minimum of five scholarly sources located using ProQuest or a similar database in the Ashford University Library. The sources must have been written within the last five years. Make sure to cite your sources in the text as well as on the reference page.
Writing the Final Research Paper
The Final Research Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (excluding the title and reference page), and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student's name
- Course name and number
- Instructor's name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a well-supported conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources and include a separate reference page in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.