Reference no: EM131150296
Assignment 1 Argument Mapping
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
1. Create an argument map based on the influence diagram presented in Case 1.3 and complete all the criteria provided in the exercise, beginning with this claim: "The U.S. should return to the 55- mph speed limit in order to conserve fuel and save lives."
2. Include in the map as many warrants, backings, objections, and rebuttals as possible.
3. Assume that the original qualifier was certainly; indicate whether the qualifier changes as we move from a simple, static, uncontested argument to a complex, dynamic and contested argument.
(Note: Refer to Demonstration Exercise 3 located at the end of Chapter 8 for criterion 4.)
4. Apply the argument mapping procedures presented in Chapter 8 to analyze the pros and cons (or strengths and weaknesses) of the recommendations that the United States should not intervene in the Balkans.
(Note: Refer to Demonstration Exercise 4 located at the end of Chapter 8 for criteria 5-7.)
5. Write a one (1) page analysis that uses critical thinking to assess the overall plausibility of the claim: "The conflict in Bosnia is somebody else's trouble. The U.S. should not intervene militarily."
6. Complete an argument map to illustrate your analysis.
7. Include at least two (2) peer-reviewed references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook to support your views. Note: Appropriate peer-reviewed references include scholarly articles and governmental Websites. Do not use open source Websites such as Wikipedia, Sparknotes.com, Ask.com, and similar Websites are not acceptable resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
• Use Microsoft Word, Microsoft Draw, PowerPoint, or other graphics program to create the arguments maps for the assignment. Whichever program you use, the graphical maps must be integrated into the Word Document and labeled as a Figure with a number and title. The argument maps are part of the page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Analyze the historical context, basic concepts, strategies, and / or models of public policy.
• Examine the nature, characteristics, models, and / or methods pertinent to the structuring of policy problems.
• Examine the process of policy argument development.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in policy analysis and program evaluation.
• Write clearly and concisely about policy analysis and program evaluation using proper writing mechanics.