>> Term Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to describe, evaluate and discuss application of a nursing grand or mid-range theory. This assignment also provides the learner an opportunity to connect theory and research to nursing phenomena. Learners will develop an 8-10 page paper (excluding the title page and references) using APA style to address the elements listed below.
Theory/Author Name and Background
1. Select a Grand or Mid-Range Theory that is appropriate to your practice setting.
2. Describe the theorist's background in detail and discuss how their experiences have impacted the theory development.
3. Examine crucial references for the original and/or current work of the theorist and other authors writing about the selected theory.
4. Identify the phenomenonof concernor problems addressed by the theory.
1. Explain whether the theory uses deductive, inductive or retroductive reasoning. Provide evidence to support your conclusion.
2. Describe the major concepts of the theory.A How are they defined? (theoretically and/or operationally) Is the author consistentin the use of the concepts and other terms in the theory?
3. Interpret how the concepts are defined.A Implicitly or explicitly?
4. Examine the relationships (propositions) among the major concepts.
1. Identify explicit and implicit assumptions (values/beliefs) underlying the theory. On what assumptions does the theory build?
2. Examine if the theory has a description of the four metaparadigm concepts of nursing. If so, how are they explained in the theory? If the metapardigm is not explained, what elements do you see as relevant to the theory and why?
3. Discuss the clarity of the theory.Â Did it have lucidness and consistency?
1. Examine how the theory would guide nursing actions.
2. Describe specificallyhow you can use this theory in your area of nursing (Practice, Education, Informatics or Administration).
Preview Container content
Table of Contents
Background of the Theory 2
Description of the Theory 4
Whether theories in nursing are mid- range or grand- range, they contribute in organizing the influence research and practice and disciplinary thinking. From the theoretical perspective, grand theories are considered as being complicated and abstract that has been removed from the practice. Their nature is somewhat that it cannot be tested or gasped in an easy manner. In comparison with the grand theories, there are some relationships and concepts that are present in the mid- range theory and there is adaptability amongst a number of different experiences and practices that can be established from a number of different sources, and there is sufficient degree of concreteness for being tested(Kolcaba, 2004).
With respect to these reasons, mid- range theories are specifically cogent due to the fact that the science of nursing are focused on addressing challenges with respect to the 21st century. The challenges that can be foreseen are the ones faced by the discipline in the twenty- first century.
For the purpose of this paper, the mid- range theory that has been chosen in the theory of comfort. According to this particular theory, in the stressful situations of health care, the needs that are unmet with respect to comfort are met in the assistance of the nurses. The interventions of nursing can be considered as being highly successful if there is achievement of enhanced comfort by the patients in comparison with the baseline that had been set previously(Kolcaba, 2005). The immediate outcome of patient with respect to enhancement of comfort is strengthening in the theoretical context. Thus, the comfort being enhanced has a direct and positive relation with the patients that engage within the behaviours in order to seek health that is referred to as the consequent outcomes of patient.