>> Other Subject
Assignment: Ethnic Groups and Discrimination
· Resources: Racial and Ethnic Groups, the Internet, and the University Library
· Select an ethnic group to which you belong (The ethnic group to which I belong is Irish American. If you identify with more than one group, choose the group with which you most identify or about which you would like to learn more.
· Write a 700- to 1,050-word essay in which you answer the following questions:
o Conduct research to determine if the ethnic group colonized or if it immigrated to the United States. What country did they originate from and why did they enter the U. S.?
o Did the group face prejudice, segregation, racism, or any combination of the three? If so, explain how and why?
o Define all of the following terms and explain whether or not your ethnic group was affected by any of the these forms of discrimination? Provide examples. Refer to the text for the definitions.
· Dual labor market
· Environmental justice issues
· Affirmative action
· Double jeopardy
· Institutional discrimination
· Reverse discrimination
· Glass ceiling, glass walls, or glass escalator
o If your group did not experience these forms of discrimination, did they participate in them? If so, explain.
o Do you culturally identify more with the ethnic group you examined, with United States mainstream culture, or with both equally? I have been very busy juggling work, military, school, and working out this week that I have not had time to work on it I am only requesting the journal entry as something to base off of and recreate for the assignment.