>> Operation Management
Scheduling is essential to a project's success. Forming a network activity with a visual depiction helps the team understand the relationships of tasks in a project. Two of the most common charts used in project management are the Gantt and program evaluation review technique (PERT) charts. The purpose of these charts is to assist with project scheduling and illustrate task dependencies. Another tool that can be used is the critical path method (CPM).
- Research and define PERT, CPM, and Gantt relative to project planning, scheduling, and control.
- Respond to the following:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each technique in project management?
- How do these techniques assist in monitoring and controlling the project activity?
- Construct a work breakdown structure (WBS) for your project by first identifying each deliverable required for your project. Then, for each deliverable, identify the activities that must be completed to produce that deliverable. You may use Microsoft Project now, or defer use of Microsoft Project to the Phase 4 IP. Your instructor will advise which software (MS Project, etc.) to use.
- Based on your knowledge of your anticipated resources you will have to do the work of the activities, estimate the durations of the activities. You may use Microsoft Project now, or defer use of Microsoft Project to the Phase 4 IP.