>> Other Subject
Discussion 1 :
1. Do you think that being self-interested is a bad thing? If so, why? If not, why not?
2. Compare Christ's Golden Rule with Hobbes' Golden Rule. Which do you think is more effective in getting people to obey the laws, and why?
3. Do you agree with Hobbes that our natural condition is one of lawlessness and violence? How do you think you would behave if you knew you could get away with whatever you wanted to? Do we only obey the laws out of fear of punishment?
Discussion 2 :
1. If Nietzsche were alive today, would he describe the contemporary United States as being governed by master morality or slave morality? Explain, and be specific.
2. Do you agree with Nietzsche's claim that "every elevation of the type ‘man' has hitherto been the work of an aristocratic society and so it will always be"? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with Ortega's claim that we are (as of 1929, when he wrote The Revolt of the Masses) living in what he calls a hyperdemocracy? Explain.