Reference no: EM13763944
PART I: CURRENT EVENT ANALYSIS
Directions: Utilize LIRN and other sources of information (articles, internet sources, etc.) to find one current event article or news story related to any concept presented in this module. Summarize the article's main points/concepts and discuss how the it using APA format. Length should be a minimum of one page, double-spaced. Provide links to the articles (or scan and upload a printed article). Please use proper APA citation when using any source including the textbook. Please visit the Academic Resource Center (ARC) for concise APA guidelines.
PART II: SHORT ANSWER
Directions: Please answer each of the following questions completely and provide examples from the text, if applicable, to support your answers. Each response should be written in complete sentences and be at least one to two paragraphs in length unless otherwise indicated. Please use proper APA citation when using any source including the textbook. Please visit the Academic Resource Center (ARC) for concise APA guidelines.
1. What are the different types of organizational design? Describe each one briefly.
2. Define/describe the meaning of each of the following types of knowledge: a) area knowledge, b) product knowledge, c) functional knowledge.
3. What is the difference between an M-form design and an H-form design? When would international firms use each of these?
4. What are the competitive advantages associated with a global product design?
5. Why is the control function important to the success or failure of an international business? What factors are necessary to understand before establishing a control system?
6. What is an informal management network? How are they established? Do you think they are useful to an international business? Why or why not?
7. What is the primary difference between responsibility center control and generic organizational control? Under what circumstances is each type appropriate for an international business?
8. What are the typical levels a firm goes through with regard to its organizational design as it transitions from domestic to international to global? What are the three managerial philosophies that guide organization design? Briefly explain when each philosophy is appropriate.
9. What are the steps a firm needs to take when establishing an international control system? How can a firm overcome resistance to control systems?
10. Discuss the behavioral aspects of international control and include the reasons for resistance to control and the methods for overcoming that resistance.
11. Describe the Big Five personality traits and explain how they are relevant to organizations.
12. What is the difference between an internal and external locus of control? How would this affect employers and employees?
13. Explain what happens when we experience too little stress, the right amount of stress, and too much stress. Describe scenarios in your life where you experienced each of those levels of stress and how it affected you.
14. What are secondary needs? Why is it important for international managers to understand the secondary needs of employees from multiple cultures?
15. How does the process of executing plans differ between managers and leaders?
16. What is the ringi system? How does the ringi system facilitate the productivity of an organizational team?
17. What are the theoretical approaches to motivation?
18. Using examples, compare and contrast leadership and management.
19. What are the characteristics of a mature team?
20. What is the difference between the normative model of decision making and the descriptive model? Which is the most reflective of what managers actually do? Explain.