+1-415-670-9189
info@expertsmind.com
Describe normal probability distribution
Course:- Operation Management
Reference No.:- EM131146791




Assignment Help
Expertsmind Rated 4.9 / 5 based on 47215 reviews.
Review Site
Assignment Help >> Operation Management

Specialty Toys, Inc., sells a variety of new and innovative children’s toys. Management learned that the preholiday season is the best time to introduce a new toy, because many families use this time to look for new ideas for December holiday gifts. When Specialty discovers a new toy with good market potential, it chooses an October market entry date. In order to get toys in its stores by October, Specialty places one-time orders with its manufacturers in June or July of each year. Demand for children’s toys can be highly volatile. If a new toy catches on, a sense of shortage in the marketplace often increases the demand to high levels and large profits can be realized. However, new toys can also flop, leaving Specialty stuck with high levels of inventory that must be sold at reduced prices. The most important question the company faces is deciding how many units of a new toy should be purchased to meet anticipated sales demand. If too few are purchased, sales will be lost; if too many are purchased, profits will be reduced because of low prices realized in clearance sales. For the coming season, Specialty plans to introduce a new product called Weather Teddy. This variation of a talking teddy bear is made by a company in Taiwan. When a child presses Teddy’s hand, the bear begins to talk. A builtin barometer selects one of five responses that predict the weather conditions. The responses range from “It looks to be a very nice day! Have fun” to “I think it may rain today. Don’t forget your umbrella.” Tests with the product show that, even though it is not a perfect weather predictor, its predictions are surprisingly good. Several of Specialty’s managers claimed Teddy gave predictions of the weather that were as good as many local television weather forecasters. As with any other products, Specialty faces the decision of how many Weather Teddy units to order for the coming holiday season. Members of the management team suggested order quantities of 15,000, 18,000, 24,000, or 28,000 units. The wide range of order quantities suggested indicate considerable disagreement concerning the market potential. The product management team asks you for an analysis of the stock-out probabilities for various order quantities, an estimate of the profit potential, and to help make an order quantity recommendation. Specialty expects to sell Weather Teddy for $24 based on a cost of $16 per unit. If inventory remains after the holiday season, Specialty will sell all surplus inventory for $5 per unit. After reviewing the sales history of similar products, Specialty’s senior sales forecaster predicted an expected demand of 20,000 units with a 0.90 probability that demand would be between 10,000 units and 30,000 units. Managerial Report Prepare a managerial report that addresses the following issues and recommends an order quantity for the Weather Teddy product. 1. Use the sales forecaster’s prediction to describe a normal probability distribution that can be used to approximate the demand distribution. Sketch the distribution and show its mean and standard deviation. 2. Compute the probability of a stock-out for the order quantities suggested by members of the management team. 3. Compute the projected profit for the order quantities suggested by the management team under three scenarios: worst case in which sales = 10,000 units, more likely case in which sales = 20,000 units, and best case in which sales = 30,000 units. 4. One of Specialty’s managers felt that the profit potential was so great that the order quantity should have a 70% chance of meeting demand and that only a 30% chance of any stock-outs. What quantity would be ordered under this policy, and what is the projected profit under the three sales scenarios? 5. Provide your own recommendation for an order quantity and note the associated profit projections. Provide a rationale for your recommendation. Please include any forumals, breakdown, and charts needed for this question.




Put your comment
 
Minimize


Ask Question & Get Answers from Experts
Browse some more (Operation Management) Materials
Examines what the repercussions might be of applying a Western World theory in a non-Western area. Why would it be a risk to apply a Western theory without first checking fo
Give a brief overview of the business economic structure of the U.S. Define Management and briefly discuss each of the 5 key ingredients. Define Planning and discuss the Plann
Socialization is typically used in larger corporations. Let’s say you’ve been hired by a smaller company that doesn’t see the value of socializing employees. What would you sa
Jon Cady hired Telifair Reality to find a buyer for his house. On July 8, an offer to purchase was presented to Jon Cady. This offer was signed "Reta May Johnson by Jared John
Explain the relationship with IT Infrastructure, the firm and the business capabilities. Briefly explain the history of IT infrastructure.What is enterprise wide network and c
Describe how crashing and fast tracking can be used to compress a project schedule. What limitations could there be with each of these methods? List the important components o
As organizations work to improve individual performance and development keeping employees engaged in the work they do has become a challenge. Employee engagement surveys are u
How has PMMM brought success to both SAP and Petrotrin's overall enterprise?  Use current financial, operational, and strategic news to support the article details for eithe