+1-415-670-9189
info@expertsmind.com
Depreciation rate
Course:- Finance Basics
Reference No.:- EM131030209




Assignment Help
Expertsmind Rated 4.9 / 5 based on 47215 reviews.
Review Site
Assignment Help >> Finance Basics

Question1 ABC Corporation is considering an expansion project. The proposed project has the following features:

The project has an initial cost of $1,000,000 (machine: $800,000, insurance: $40,000, shipping $60,000, modification: $100,000) --this is also the amount which can be depreciated using the following 3 year MACRS depreciation schedule:

Year           Depreciation Rate

 1                           33%

 2                           45

 3                           15

 4                           7

  • The sales price and cost are both expected to increase by 4 percent per year due to inflation.
  • If the project is undertaken, net working capital would have to increase by an amount equal to 10% of sales revenues. This net operating working capital will be recovered at the end of the project's life (t = 4). (You must consider an inflation effect.)
  • If the project is undertaken, the company will selladditional 100,000 units in the next three years (t = 1, 2, 3, 4). Unit price at the end of the Year 1 is $10.
  • The company's operating cost (not including depreciation) will equal to 50% of sales.
  • The company's tax rate is 40 percent.
  • The company has no debt.
  • At the end of Year 4, the project's economic life is complete, but the company can sell the machine at $20,000 (market value of salvage).
  • The project's WACC = 8 percent.

What is the project's net present value (NPV)? 

Question2 sidering a project that has an up-front after tax cost at t = 0 of $1,000,000. The project's subsequent cash flows critically depend on whether its products become the industry standard. There is a 70 percent chance that the products will become the industry standard, in which case the project's expected after- tax cash flows will be $900,000 at the end of each of the next three years (t = 1,2,3). There is a 30 percent chance that the products will not become the industry standard, in which case the after-tax expected cash flows from the project will be $200,000 at the end of each of the next three years (t = 1,2,3). NI will know for sure one year from today whether its products will have become the industry standard. It is considering whether to make the investment today or to wait a year until after it finds out if the products have become the industry standard.  If it waits a year, the project's up-front cost at t = 1 will remain at $1,000,000 (certain cash flow). If it chooses to wait, the estimated subsequent after-tax cash flows will remain at $900,000 per year if the product becomes the industry standard, and $200,000 per year if the product does not become the industry standard.  There is no penalty for entering the market late.  Assume that all risky cash flows are discounted at 8 percent and risk-free rate is 5 percent.

1)      What is the expected NPV of the project if NI proceeds today?

2)      If NI chooses to wait a year before proceeding, what will be the project's new NPV?




Put your comment
 
Minimize


Ask Question & Get Answers from Experts
Browse some more (Finance Basics) Materials
What would be your monthly car loan payment under the Ford's 0% APR financing offer (assume a 60-month loan term)? What would be your monthly car loan payment under the Ford's
The strike price was $1.80, and the spot rate at the time the pound option was exercised was $1.59. Assume there are 31,250 units in a British pound option. What was Alice's
What percentage of total tendered bids were noncompetitive bids? What percentage of total accepted bids were noncompetitive bids? Of total accepted bids, what percentage went
A 9-year bond has a yield of 6% and a duration of 7.982 years. If the market yield changes by 35 basis points, what is the percentage change in the bond's price? The percent
2. Lindsey Insurance Co. has current sales of $10 million and predicts next year's sales will grow to $14 million. Current assets are $3 million and fixed assets are $4 mill
The exercise price on one of ORNE Corporation's call options is $35 and the price of the underlying stock is $34. The option will expire in 55 days. The option is currently
How might the definition of quality apply to an organization you know? Provide examples of consumers, external customers and internal customers, and ways in which their expe
Anna has just received a gift of $500 for her graduation, which increased her net worth by $500. If she uses the money to purchase a video player how will her net worth be