Reference no: EM132280998
Management and Operations Assignment - Leadership and Management Concepts
PART A -
- Differentiate between the role of a leader and the function of a manager.
- Apply the role of a leader and the function of a manager in given contexts.
PART B -
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the role leaders and managers play in the operations function of an organisation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between leadership and management in a contemporary business environment.
Assignment Brief and Guidance:
PART A: Report
You will need to produce a report for the senior leadership team that includes the following:
1. An introduction to the organisation and the management structure.
2. Definition and roles of both managers and leaders, highlighting the differences between management and leadership.
3. The different roles of management and leadership in application to different organisational situations, supported by theories and concepts.
4. How theories such as 'chaos theory' and 'management by objectives' apply to the organisation and how these have support growth and sustainable performance.
5. Conclusions on how managers and leaders have made an impact on the organisation and recommendations for future improvements.
PART B: Presentation
Since reporting on the role of management and leadership within your organisation as the HR Manager, the CEO and founder have now asked you to feedback on best approaches and practices with regards to operations management.
This will take the form of a 15 minute presentation to the leadership team that will address how the leadership and management team can improve overall operations within the company.
To assist with this, you will need to investigate external business factors that impact upon operational management and the decisions the management team makes.
The presentation slides should cover the following areas:
- An introduction to the key operations of the organisation.
- Details of each of the key functions, identifying the roles and responsibilities of managers in the key operational functions.
- Explanation of the key operational approaches to operational management and their value.
- An evaluation of the impact of external business environment factors that affect decision-making by leaders and managers.
- How operations efficiencies can be improved to successfully meet business objectives using appropriate management and leadership approaches.
- Conclusions and supported recommendations for future improvements to be taken by the organisation.