>> Business Management
Assessment Task 1:
Performance management project
The assessment task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
The candidate must demonstrate skills and knowledge required to implementation performance management in a simulated workplace context.
You will be assigned to a performance team of 3 people to plan, monitor and review the performance of members of a team.
To do this, you and your 2 team members will need to create a fictitious company with operational plan, a management role and worker profiles. Each performance team member will undertake a number of activities to manage the performance one of the workers. This will include management activities such as developing a work allocations, identifying KPIs, participating in several coaching role plays, undertaking performance reviews and proposing a development plan for remedying poor performance by the worker you are responsible for supervising.
Upon completion, you will each be required to make a class presentation of your outcomes. Your presentation should include an overview of your role and the worker's role, work allocations, KPIs, the identified performance issues, an overview of the coaching activities and development options you considered, and a review of worker performance in relation to the expected KPIs.
1. As a team, use the company you have created and complete the operational and departmental goals of the operational plan.
2. As a team, create and develop profiles for 3 different ‘workers' in that company to be ‘managed' by you and your team mates (Identify job roles and departments).
3. Have your facilitator approve your team's worker profiles.
4. You must then take responsibility for one of the ‘workers' and be their manager.
5. Develop individual goals, KPIs and tasks for your worker and document these in the worker's performance management plan.
6. Create three reasons why your worker is not achieving their KPIs (performance issues). You can select the reasons from the list below or
develop your own:
- high levels of absenteeism at performance team meetings
- missing deadlines for task deliverables
- poor team work
- poor communication skills
7. Conduct two coaching role plays. This will require the involvement of the other members of your Performance Team. One team member must assume the role of your worker while the other team member is an observer of the role play:
- Brief the team members on the required performance (KPIs) and performance issues you have identified for your worker
- Coach the team member (your worker) on the identified performance issues while being observed
- Prepare a performance development plan on the basis of the outcomes of each coaching session
- Prepare file notes from these coaching sessions to be placed on the worker's file
- Complete a reflection sheet and your observer completes an observer sheet (refer attached templates)
8. Undertake a performance appraisal meeting with your worker (with the same team member playing the role) and complete the performance management and performance development plans and record notes or the worker's file.
Preview Container content
Performance management plan:
The current company considered for analysis of the performance management is Omni Boiler component manufacturing company. The company is located in the industrial city, outside Georgia of Atlanta. The company is into the manufacturing of boiler mountings and accessories for water tube boilers used in different chemical processing industries in the region.
The company mainly works to supply the boiler parts for medium to high pressure requirements. The company has good reputation in the domain as quality component manufacturer and they were catering to the market needs of the local region as well supplying the product to the overseas as well.