Reference no: EM131224766
1. Affirmative action applies to all employers, public or private. T/F
2. Under Executive Order 11246, federal contractors must agree not to discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, or national origin. T/F
3. The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs’ enforcement contains provisions for private lawsuits by employees and even penalties for noncompliance by a contractor. T/F
4. The _____ Amendment to the United States Constitution abolished slavery in 1865.
5. Which of the following statements is true of affirmative action?
A) Affirmative action requires employers to remove qualified whites and males from their jobs and give these jobs to minorities.
B) Workplace productivity and efficiency do not suffer under affirmative action plans.
C) Under affirmative action, an applicant can simply be a female or a minority to be placed in a job.
D) Minorities and females cannot be terminated from their jobs for any cause under affirmative action plans.
6. One of the commonly held myths about affirmative action is that it is:
A) an effort to overcome the effects of past or present discriminatory practices.
B) an entitlement program that provides unqualified women or minorities with jobs.
C) an initiative against discrimination that does not affect workplace productivity and efficiency.
D) a remedy and not a punishment for discrimination.
7. Employment research findings show that:
A) nearly 90 percent of jobs are filled through advertising.
B) in the retail industry, employers consistently chose slightly less qualified black women over more qualified white women for entry-level positions.
C) in the suburbs, equally qualified blacks are hired about 40 percent less than whites because of negative assumptions.
D) blacks are 22 percent more likely to be granted interviews when compared to whites.
8. Affirmative action is used only when there is:
A) an undoubted reason to raise the bona fide occupational qualification defense.
B) a demonstrated underrepresentation of women and minorities in the workplace.
C) a need to improve workplace productivity and efficiency.
D) a need to punish someone for employment discrimination.
9. Affirmative action obligations arise in the workplace through:
A) Executive Order 11246.
B) Section 2-306 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
C) the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
D) a voluntary affirmative action plan established by an employee.
10. Laketown System Corp., a federal contractor, chooses not to comply with the affirmative action plan established to increase the representation of women and minorities within its workplace. Which of the following is an implication of noncompliance?
A) Laketown System Corp. cannot be subject to any action for noncompliance as it is a federal contractor.
B) Laketown System Corp. cannot be subject to any action for noncompliance as it is not a voluntary affirmative action plan.
C) Laketown System Corp. can be debarred from further participation in government contracts for noncompliance.
D) Laketown System Corp. can be prohibited from adopting affirmative action plans in the future for noncompliance.
11. Executive Order 11246 requires all federal contractors:
A) with 15 or more employees and a nonconstruction contract of $10,000 or more to implement judicial affirmative action.
B) with 50 or more employees and a nonconstruction contract of $50,000 or more to develop a written affirmative action plan.
C) to draft an affirmative action plan regardless of the number of employees or the size of the contract.
D) to draft an affirmative action plan that prohibits them from terminating minorities and females based on their performance at their jobs.
12. Judicial affirmative action is imposed by the courts when:
A) there is workplace discrimination in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and an affirmative action plan is the appropriate means of redress.
B) there is a requirement for federal contractors with 15 or more employees and a contract of $10,000 or more to comply with Executive Order 11246.
C) voluntary affirmative action plans result in reverse discrimination.
D) employees file a discrimination claim with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance
13. In an effort to combat the glass ceiling, a corporate management compliance evaluation is:
A) used by courts to determine if federal contractors have implemented the appropriate affirmative action plan.
B) designed to determine whether employees are encountering artificial barriers to advancement to mid- and senior-level corporate management.
C) applied by courts to determine whether an affirmative action plan is a viable means of addressing present-day vestiges of the ancient slavery system.
D) conducted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to determine if there has been reverse discrimination against the majority.
14. White Swan Motors’ practice of hiring only applicants recommended by its employees has been found to have an adverse impact on nonwhite applicants. White Swan plans to implement a voluntary affirmative action plan. Which of the following would be an effective practice under the voluntary affirmative action plan?
A) Removing qualified whites from their jobs and giving these jobs to minorities regardless of their qualifications
B) Hiring an employee simply because he or she belongs to a protected class
C) Eliminating unvalidated recruitment practices and selection criteria
D) Fixing permanent racial quotas to reduce racial imbalance.