I am frequently interviewing successful person here at Forbes. Since 2007, I have spoken to over 1200 CEOs, authors, celebrities, politicians even an astronaut. When speaking to these individuals, I always notice common traits which they all have lend for their success. I have boiled all of these into the top 10 things that all of them have in common. If you can think of any extra ones leave them in the comments.
10 Influential things of a Successful Person:
1. They know when they have to stay and when to leave. Successful person know exactly when they should change employers, start a company or fold their company. They have good intuition and aren't afraid to make hard choices, despite opposing forces. Also they do more than what's asked of them. They view their trade descriptions as just the beginning of what they can do with their job. After they've completed their mandatory tasks, they'll always ask to take on more projects that challenge them. They're even willing to take on the tedious work that no one else wants to do in order to be a team player.
2. They're willing to fail in order to ultimately succeed. All successful persons know that it doesn't come easy and they're bound to fail more than they'll succeed at anything. They're willing to learn from each failure, as it will help them make better decisions that lead to success later. While many persons give-ups after failing at something a successful person will persevere.
3. They know about how to make their own luck. Luck is imitated from hard work over time and positioning yourself for success. You won't randomly get lucky and successful person know that. They'll do at least one thing every single day to put themselves in a better position to get lucky and then use that luck to grow.
4. They set real aim that they can accomplish. Successful person wake up and they've already planned their day, while unsuccessful person are scrambling to figure out what they need to do next. Their aims are much focused big yet accessible also are aligned to their strengths. They know what they're able of and will invest all of their efforts in it, avoiding their weaknesses.
5. They take liability for themselves and their conduct as well. They're not relying on other person in order to get the job done. Instead, they're looking inwards and are trying to find the solutions, while leveraging their current assets. If they made a mistake they own-up to it and immediately think of ways that they can improve next time, not making the same mistake twice. Also they compose change instead of being affected by it. Successful person aren't waiting around to be affected by economic trends. They're the ones who are creating the trends and making things happen.
6. They're able to adjust to changes in the marketplace. Successful person are willing to reinvent themselves to stay relevant in the business world. They understand if you stay stagnant and ignore trends which you will be left behind. They're constantly coming up with new ideas, searching for the next big thing and getting new skills.
7. They can converse their story effectively. If you walk-up to a successful person and then ask them what they do, they'll able to tell you everything in a concise manner. They know who they're, what they do and can make you believe in them. They have strong posture also very persuasive and confident.
8. They ask the right questions to the person who can deliver the right answers. Successful person know they need to solve problems by tapping their networks. They're not afraid of emailing or calling the best person who can answer their questions. They're always prepared with the right questions and are always willing to help the other person out in return.
9. They're life-long learners who push themselves out of their comfort zones. While most person think that when they graduate college, they're finished being a student, successful person remain students. They're constantly learning new things and have new experiences. They're not afraid to try new activities and to fail at them. Also they know who they're and their place in the world. Successful person are confident and can lead themselves, as well as others. They've their own vision as well as mission and seek to bring it to life on a daily basis. They also know who they're not and don't waste time on things that they're not good at or they're not satisfied with.
10. They're more excited about the journey than the pay out. Successful person ignore get rich quick schemes. They're more focused on building sustainable careers through hard work, risk taking and creativity. They enjoy the journey, despite the obstacles, because they're doing something that has meaning in their lives. Also they create instead of just consume. While most person are busy reading emails, watching TV or listening to a podcast, successful person are creating new tools, presentations and coming up with ideas. They're the ones who are making things that other person need instead of being on the other end of the spectrum, consuming them.